This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4953 / 55°29'42"N
Longitude: -1.6367 / 1°38'11"W
OS Eastings: 423053
OS Northings: 622445
OS Grid: NU230224
Mapcode National: GBR K40W.GX
Mapcode Global: WHC16.T4TL
Plus Code: 9C7WF9W7+48
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236959
Location: Embleton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Embleton
Built-Up Area: Embleton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Embleton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2322 EMBLETON EMBLETON VILLAGE
14/69 The Old Vicarage
10.1.53 (formerly listed
Vicarage. Early C14 house or solar wing reconstructed c.1390 as tower;
kitchen wing mid-C18; major extensions by John Dobson 1828 for Rev. George
Grimes. Tower squared stone and rubble, with south end refaced in squared
tooled stone; C18 wing brick, rendered and colourwashed; C19 parts squared
whinstone with sandstone ashlar plinth and dressings. Welsh slate roofs.
C18/19 parts form irregular H-plan, with link to tower at east end and
conservatory, of stretched octagon plan, at south end of west range. C19
parts in Tudor style.
South (entrance) front 2 + 3 storeys, 5 irregular bays. Chamfered plinth.
Porch bay in centre has double-chamfered arch with hoodmould, under canted
oriel with embattled parapet; plain panel under gable above. Set back to
left a bay with large 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window and 3-light
window above. Set further back to right a lower bay with 2-light transomed
window under single-light window; embattled parapet with small gable in
centre. Slightly-projecting left end bay has single-light 1st-floor window
above attached conservatory. Right end bay is tower; C19 two-light windows
on upper floors are flanked by older chamfered loops, probably re-set.
Embattled parapet with gable of cap-house behind. C19 parts have sash windows,
mostly of 8 panes, in chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds; coped gables with
moulded kneelers and finials; tall stacks with multiple diagonal corniced
Right return: Tower 3 storeys, 2 wide bays. Broad central stack projection,
corbelled out at eaves level. Square-headed 2- and 3-light windows, some
blocked, those to ground floor C20 but in same style. 16-pane casement in C18
stone surround to 2nd floor right; some blocked medieval loops; embattled
parapet with truncated old brick stacks.
Left return 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central two single-light windows on 1st floor.
Flanking flat-topped canted bays, with 12-pane sashes, under 2-light windows
in slightly-raised panels carried up as gables. Attached conservatory at right
has 12-pane sashes in recessed and hollow-chamfered surrounds; swept and hipped
glazed roof; roof ribs descend to integral cast-iron gutter.
Rear elevation: Tower at left shows 16-pane casement on 2nd floor and various
blocked loops. C18 wing in centre shows two 12-pane 1st floor sashes and
Interior: Entrance porch has groined vault on moulded corbels, and half-glazed
Gothick door. Tower: ground floor divided into two segmental-vaulted chambers;
north chamber has old chamfered fireplace and pair of pointed doorways. 1st
floor has C18 octagon room with moulded fireplace and domed niches; remains of
old stair in cupboard at north end. 2nd floor has another moulded early C18
fireplace and stone roof corbels. Cap-house has unusual roof trusses with
saddles and additional outer principals carrying purlins. Kitchen wing has
1st-floor room with acanthus frieze, and contemporary fireplace with fluted
pilasters and scroll cornice. Early C19 part: Open-well stair with stick
balusters; coffered ceiling to hall. Drawing room has elaborate vine-scroll
frieze, cornice and floral ceiling rose; dining room has coffered ceiling.
Doors of 6 vertical panels; folding panelled shutters; Gothick and Tudor
fireplaces, with ornamental cast-iron grates.
Historical Notes: Merton College, who held the patronage of Embleton, agreed
in 1332 to provide quarters where the vicar might "live suitably and entertain
visitors decently"; reconstruction seems to have taken place after the parish
was laid waste by the Scots in 1385.
H.L. Honeyman, 'Embleton Vicarage', Archaeologia Aeliana 4th ser. V. (1928)
Listing NGR: NU2305322435
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings