This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.2956 / 55°17'44"N
Longitude: -1.7147 / 1°42'52"W
OS Eastings: 418213
OS Northings: 600199
OS Grid: NU182001
Mapcode National: GBR J7G6.KH
Mapcode Global: WHC24.M5P5
Plus Code: 9C7W77WP+64
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angles
Listing Date: 15 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236791
Location: Felton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Felton
Built-Up Area: Felton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
(West end, off)
12/122 Church of St.
Parish church. Building history 'a happy puzzle for the antiquarian' (Pevsner).
Approximate sequence: Nave-and-chancel church of c.1200 with small west
tower or belfry, and perhaps transepts; south porch then south-west chapel
added in later C13; aisles early C14 (chantry endowed 1331) incorporating
earlier porch and chapel; present porch c.1400, later truncated; nave roof
reduced in pitch and belfry rebuilt C16 or C17; north aisle extended c.1845;
vestry 1870; east end rebuilt 1884; north aisle extension partly rebuilt
c.1900. Squared stone of varying colour and quality; cut dressings. Low-
pitched felted roof to nave; graduated Lakeland slates on chancel; stone roof
to porch. Aisled nave with south porch; chancel with small north vestry.
West end shows central projecting turret with small loops, carrying belfry
with twin square-headed openings to east and west and single openings to
north and south; pyramidal stone cap. Flanking tall 2-light windows of 1870
and heavy stepped west-facing angle buttresses of former aisle less nave; at
right-angles to these the other parts of the buttresses may be seen in the
masonry of the added aisles. Blocked window in north aisle; small chamfered
lancet in south aisle; diagonal stepped south-west buttress.
Gabled projecting south porch with hollow-chamfered arch under a moulded hood,
probably re-set, between irregular buttresses formed from cut-down side walls.
Block sundial dated 17.. above. Shallow but taller gabled projection behind
is south end of older porch, with lower courses of diagonal buttresses
surviving. Interior with stone benches, vault on chamfered ribs and late C19
double doors in arch of two continuous chamfers. To west a C19 two-light
window with the head of older lancet above and flower-carved stone to right.
To east chamfered plinth, stepped buttress, three C19 windows and diagonal
stepped buttress. Five-light window, with Geometrical-traceried head
cut from a single slab, in east end of aisle.
North side of nave: Older west part shows 2 stepped buttresses and two C19
windows; middle part c.1900 with three 2-light windows; projecting gabled east
part of c.1845 with two 2-light windows, tracery renewed.
Chancel south wall shows late C19 double-chamfered priest's door under tablet
'ALEX DAVISON ESQ /impropriator/repaired this chancel 1823', and 3 restored
lancets. Massive irregular clasping buttress at south-east corner. East end
with 3 stepped lancets and tablet 'EMERSON MUSCHAMP BAINBRIDGE/OF FELTON HALL/
1884'; coped gable with finial cross.
Interior: Five-bay north arcade of double-chamfered arches with chamfered
hoodmoulds on octagonal columns with moulded capitals; earlier semicircular
east respond. South arcade is made up of double-chamfered west arch on
semicircular responds (perhaps re-set), a length of c.1200 nave wall with the
original south doorway, chamfered arch on shafted jambs (inner order cut
away) with tall round-headed rear arch, and 2 broad eastern arches similar in
detail to north arcade. To east of original doorway a small carved recess
probably for stoup; above and to east are traces of blocked windows. Rear
arch of the present south door is end of vault of older porch, with one
Renewed doorway in west end to turret newel stair, now ending in shouldered
doorway on to nave roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch, with chamfered hood,
on semicircular responds with moulded capitals and holdwater bases. Low-
pitched nave roof has purlins resting on tie-beams with central block carrying
ridge; chancel has late C19 crown-post roof with scissor braces.
Monuments: In north aisle broken C14 priest's slab with high-relief figure
and Lombardic marginal inscription. Wall tablets in chancel; James Muncaster
d.1797 with urn and arms, signed by Fisher of York; Robert Lisle of Acton
House d.1800 with draped urn and arms, signed by T. King of Bath; Alexander
Davison of Swarland Park d.1829 with carved canopied niche. In south aisle
tablet to William Adams of South Acton c.1824. Octagonal font, probably C14
but re-tooled. One medieval bell inscribed AVE.M/RIA.GRACIA.PLENA; second,
uninscribed, probably 1674.
Listing NGR: NU1821300196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings