This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4241 / 55°25'26"N
Longitude: -1.8874 / 1°53'14"W
OS Eastings: 407225
OS Northings: 614466
OS Grid: NU072144
Mapcode National: GBR H58Q.5F
Mapcode Global: WHB04.ZXDQ
Plus Code: 9C7WC4F7+J2
Entry Name: Glanton House
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236534
Location: Glanton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Glanton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
GLANTON THE CAUSEWAY
21/191 Glanton House
House, mid-C18 (described as new-built in 1763/4). Squared stone with ashlar
dressings; purple Scottish slates to front roof slope of main range, Welsh
slates to remainder except for C20 synthetic purple slates on rear slope of
west wing. L-plan.
South elevation 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Chamfered plinth, rusticated
quoins. Central half-glazed door in renewed lugged architrave with pulvinated
frieze and pediment, 12-pane sash windows in architraves with moulded sills.
Moulded eaves cornice and steeply-pitched roof with coped gables on moulded
kneelers, and stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Right return shows lst floor
sash and 8-pane attic sash in raised stone surrounds. 4-bay left return shows
similar detail; right bay has windows blocked except for 8-pane attic sash.
West wing, to left, has C18 sashes with thick glazing bars to 1st floor and
ground floor left; 2 ground-floor sashes renewed, that to right in new
architrave in place of former doorway, (now removed to west wing outshut).
Stepped-and-corniced left end stack, smaller ridge stack. Rear elevation:
contemporary outshut to main range shows 15-pane fixed casement stair window
in raised stone surround with narrow chamfer; gable end of west wing shows
renewed 8-pane attic sash in stone surround.
Interior: Fielded-panel doors, some on L hinges; folding panelled shutters.
Dining room has panelled dado, dentil cornice, and late C18 fireplace; drawing
room has panelling on south wall; kitchen has chamfered fireplace with shallow
segmental arch retaining old smoke jack and spit. Dog-leg closed-string stair
with column-on-vase balusters, moulded wreathed and ramped handrail, moulded
newels and curtail step. Bedroom fireplaces have enriched wood surrounds and
old ironwork. Original collar-beam truss roofs, 7-bay over main block and
5-bay over wing; trusses have elbowed uprights rising from inner wallface
and halved into feet of principal rafters; 2 levels of purlins and diagonally-
set ridge; carpenter's numbering on all trusses.
Listing NGR: NU0722514466
Other nearby listed buildings