This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3348 / 55°20'5"N
Longitude: -1.9404 / 1°56'25"W
OS Eastings: 403881
OS Northings: 604533
OS Grid: NU038045
Mapcode National: GBR G6WR.QF
Mapcode Global: WHB0Q.558L
Plus Code: 9C7W83M5+WV
Entry Name: Ruins of Cartington Castle
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236344
Location: Cartington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Cartington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 00 SW
16/7 Ruins of
Fortified Manor House: Several C14 and early C15 builds; alterations and
extensions in late C16 or early C17; partial demolition following 1648 siege,
with part of hall range and north-east tower remodelled afterwards; fell into
ruins early in C19; excavation, repairs and some restoration 1887 by C.C.
Hodges for Lord Armstrong. Squared stone. Plan: Hall range with solar
(north-east) tower at east end and rectangular courtyard on south, with C16/17
east range and medieval south-east turret; only traces survive of outer
courtyard to north and post-medieval walled orchard to south.
Hall range: South elevation shows chamfered and moulded plinths, and projecting
semi-octagonal stair turret with chamfered setbacks and loops; left moulded
ground-floor doorway, partly restored; right inserted C16/17 lst-floor door.
On far right remains of C16/17 stair projection. Scattered fenestration
includes 3 large 2-light windows of 1887, re-using old materials but not all
in correct positions. Other outer walls of range only stand to 1st floor
level, with several chamfered doorways and loops; on north the lower part of
a large flying buttress. Interior: tower basement has 3 barrel-vaulted
chambers and well shaft; eastern of 3 rooms beneath hall retains part of its
segmental vault. Wall between tower and hall stands to 3-storey height. Several
original doorways, fireplaces and stairs including full-height newel stair
Walls around courtyard: East wall stands to lst floor level, with inserted
C16/17 doorway and window; outer walls of east range ruined. South-east
turret has barrel-vaulted chamber and projection with lst-floor garderobe.
2-metre high south wall is post-medieval reconstruction except for traces of
tower, perhaps original gatehouse, at west end. Cl7 west wall has central
gateway with rusticated piers, the southern retaining part of its moulded cap.
Inside courtyard, remains of detached C16/17 stair to let-floor hall range,
and foundations of demolished range of similar date.
Historical notes: Built for the Cartington family (licence to crenellate
1441). In 1494 it passed by marriage to the Radcliffes and later to the
Widdringtons, Sir Edward Widdrington holding it briefly for the King in the
1648 siege. Detailed description by H.L. Honeyman in Northumberland County
History XV, 375-80 (1940).
Listing NGR: NU0387804533
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings