This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.684 / 55°41'2"N
Longitude: -2.1877 / 2°11'15"W
OS Eastings: 388298
OS Northings: 643407
OS Grid: NT882434
Mapcode National: GBR F25Q.58
Mapcode Global: WH9YV.CDHF
Entry Name: Twizell Castle
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238015
Location: Duddo, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Duddo
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Norham St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
DUDDO A 698
NT 84 SE
(North side, off)
4/47 Twizell Castle
Ruined house. Begun c.1770 by and for Sir Francis Blake with the assistance
of Nisbet of Kelso, but incorporating some of the masonry of a medieval castle.
Ashlar and squared stone; roofless. Gothick style. Rectangular with 4 round
corner towers. Two storeys, though the house was originally five storeys
high. Seven bays. Pointed windows with brick arches, the central window in
a semicircular projection. Much taller pointed windows on 1st floor. On
returns large blank quatrefoils.
The original north wall, between the towers, has gone. The present north
wall was formerly internal and is partly medieval with openings of the C18
and blocked earlier openings including large segmental arches and a 2-light
mullioned window. This wall is c.70 inches thick.
Interior: the ground floor has 4 large vaulted rooms along the south front.
Three are tunnel vaults, the fourth, behind the central bow has a central
groin vault with 2 flanking tunnel vaults. All of these are in fine ashlar.
The west vault has holes for a timber floor. The angle towers were also
vaulted on ground floor; of these the south-west tower has a shallow stone
dome and the south-east tower a brick dome. In the north towers only the
springing of the vaults remain. There are also 2 corridors with pointed
brick tunnel vaults and two small rooms whose vaults have collapsed. On the
present north wall the springing of a groin vault can be seen at lst-floor
Building on the house was continued for almost 50 years and never completed.
The house was to be vaulted throughout as a precaution against fire.
Mackenzie: History of Northumberland: Newcastle: 1825. Proceedings of the
Society of Antiquities 2nd Series Vol. IV for the reference to Nisbet in a
letter from Ford Castle.
Listing NGR: NT8829843407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings