This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9719 / 54°58'18"N
Longitude: -2.1015 / 2°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 393596
OS Northings: 564144
OS Grid: NY935641
Mapcode National: GBR FBRY.TJ
Mapcode Global: WHB2C.P9GB
Entry Name: 27 and 28, Market Place
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Last Amended: 18 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042538
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239176
Location: Hexham, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Hexham
Built-Up Area: Hexham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hexham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1. (North Side)
Nos 27 and 28
(Formerly listed as No 27)
NY 9364 1/17 2.10.51.
Dated 1749. 4 storeys. 5 windows. Hard greystone front (dressings of similar
material at rear). Ashlar with chamfered quoins. Sill strings to all floors.
Modillion cornice. Double pitched slate roof with kneelers. Brick chimneys.
Sash windows with late glazing to 2nd and 3rd floors. Modern casement windows
to 1st floor. Architraves to windows, eared on 3rd floor. Central pedimented
doorcase on ground floor with pulvinated frieze. 8 panel door with 6 raised
and fielded panels and the top 2 glazed. 2 wide modern shop fronts flanking
doorcase; recessed entrance to left. Imposing rear elevation to Back Row.
Coursed rubble with hard greystone raised and chamfered quoins, cill strings
and window dressings. Large central staircase windows on 3 landing levels
with segmental heads and keystones. Most windows retain original glazing bar
sashes. Rain water head with "M.H." over "1749", and mask on distributor below.
3 architraved doorcases on ground floor, 1 lower and blocked. A 2 part flat
mullion opening below stair windows, 1 side containing a 6 panel door.
St Andrew's Church to ethe+ with the listed buildings in the Market Place form a group,
of which Nos 8, 10 and 16 are of local interest.
Listing NGR: NY9360364148
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings