This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1632 / 55°9'47"N
Longitude: -1.7429 / 1°44'34"W
OS Eastings: 416476
OS Northings: 585457
OS Grid: NZ164854
Mapcode National: GBR J88Q.GY
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.6H96
Plus Code: 9C7W5774+7R
Entry Name: Mitford Hall and Attached Screen Wall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238945
Location: Mitford, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Mitford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Mitford St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MITFORD MITFORD HALL
9/30 Mitford Hall and
attached screen wall
Country House. c.1800-1823 for the Mitford family, largely by John Dobson.
Ashlar with graduated Lakeland slate roofs, except for Welsh slates on north-
west wing. Villa with twin domestic wings to north, north-east wing partly
West (entrance) front in 2 parts: main house symmetrical. 2 storeys, 3 bays,
the central slightly recessed. Moulded plinth, 1st floor string. 3 steps up
to central Greek Doric porch, distyle in antis, with panelled stone ceiling;
within porch half-glazed double doors, with 2-pane overlight, in raised surround
with dentil cornice. 12-pane sash windows with sunk panels below sills. Frieze
and bold cornice below panelled parapet with balustraded section above each bay.
Hipped roof with 2 transverse stepped-and-corniced compound ridge stacks. Lower
wing, set back to left, 2 storeys, 5 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice. 16-pane sash
windows except for 8-pane casements in projecting left bay with hipped roof.
2 tall rendered stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks.
4-bay south front with similar detail. East front: main house 5 bays, the
central 3 slightly recessed and the end bay ground floor windows in architraves.
Lower 4-bay wing to right. At far right a 2-bay screen wall returns to link
with the now-separate east wing (q.v.).
Interior: Entrance lobby with mural tables on moulded brackets, and Classical frieze
With figures. Open-well open-string stair with moulded and wreathed handrail, wrought-
iron balusters with drooping lily motif, fluted newel and curtail step; stair hall
has dog wheel from Mitford Old Manor House (q.v.) and coffered ceiling. Double
drawing room divided by screen with antae and carved consoles; carved fireplaces
of marble and crinoidal limestone, coved cornice with anthemia and Greek key
ornament. Dining room has crinoidal limestone fireplace and Classical frieze
with musicians. Study has elaborate fireplace with herms, and plaster overmantel
with allegorical figures; cornice with consoles, large ceiling rose. Panelled
shutters; 6-panel doors, formerly centre-hinged.
Listing NGR: NZ1647685457
Other nearby listed buildings