This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1673 / 55°10'2"N
Longitude: -1.6905 / 1°41'25"W
OS Eastings: 419811
OS Northings: 585933
OS Grid: NZ198859
Mapcode National: GBR J8MP.SG
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.0D80
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238734
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH MARKET PLACE
NZ 1985 (South side)
24/246 The Town Hall
Town hall. Originally built 1714 by Vanbrugh for the Earl of Carlisle.
Rebuilt with facsimile facade by R.J. Johnson after a fire in 1869. Ashlar
facade, brick to rear. Lakeland slate roof. Baroque style. 2-storey, 3-bay
centre flanked by 3-storey, 1-bay towers.
Entirely rusticated, the rustication breaking around openings to form voussoirs.
Arcaded ground floor with round arches filled with elaborate wrought-iron
grilles and gates. On 1st floor large 24-pane sashes in moulded segment-headed
windows with keystones. Centre section is pedimented. Towers each have massive
upper storey with open round arches and pediments on each side. Hipped roof
with corniced ridge stacks.
Interior is by Johnson in early C18 style including an imposing open-well stair
and a large lst-floor panelled room across the front of the building.
Listing NGR: NZ1981185933
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings