This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9964 / 54°59'47"N
Longitude: -1.7923 / 1°47'32"W
OS Eastings: 413387
OS Northings: 566892
OS Grid: NZ133668
Mapcode National: GBR HBXN.SQ
Mapcode Global: WHC3G.FPR0
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 April 1969
Last Amended: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238632
Location: Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland, NE15
Civil Parish: Heddon-on-the-Wall
Built-Up Area: Heddon-on-the-Wall
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Heddon-on-the-Wall St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HEDDON-ON-THE-WALL TOWNE GATE
NZ 16 NW
20/147 Church of St Andrew
(formerly listed as
Church of St Philip
28.4.69 arid St James)
Parish church. Some Saxon masonry, C12 chancel partly remodelled C13, aisles
C13. Restored and west end added 1839. Squared stone with Welsh slate and
Lakeland slate roofs.
Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry.
4-bay nave with paired lancets of 1839, largely in older masonry. Late medieval
south porch with pointed-arched doorway, sundial in gable and pointed tunnel
vault. South-east corner of nave, where it joins the aisle, has Saxon quoins.
Lintels of north windows inscribed TAB 1839.
Chancel has double-chamfered plinth, blocked very narrow priest's door with
plain tympanum and one small C12 north window. South windows are tall paired
lancets and pierced circles above with carved heads. C12 sill band broken by
larger C13 windows. Two broad flat buttresses. East end has stepped lancets
Gabled roofs. East end has ridged coping with roll moulding, flat coping
elsewhere. Tall gabled west bellcote.
Interior: C12 rib-vaulted presbytery with ribs of 2 roll moulds resting at
east end on shafts with cushion capitals; west ribs and presbytery arch rest
on triple responds of similar shafts; the arch has unmoulded soffit and
pronounced zigzag towards nave; head of Saxon wheel-head cross on window sill.
Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered with broaches, small nailhead in north
capital. Medieval gravecover in south window sill; Saxon tympanum above C19
door into vestry. North arcade c.1200, broad-chamfered pointed arches with
round piers and capitals; east capital has primitive volutes, east respond has
waterleaf capital. Early C13 south arcade with round piers and double-chamfered
arches. West bay is addition of 1839. C15 chest in north aisle. Small round
C17 font on round base with moulded foot.
Listing NGR: NZ1338566892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings