This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9965 / 54°59'47"N
Longitude: -2.0312 / 2°1'52"W
OS Eastings: 398104
OS Northings: 566883
OS Grid: NY981668
Mapcode National: GBR GB8N.1P
Mapcode Global: WHB26.RNZY
Entry Name: Chapel of St Aidan
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240088
Location: Sandhoe, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Sandhoe
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St John Lee
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 96 NE
5/329 CHAPEL OF ST AIDAN
Chapel, 1885 by W.S. Hicks for John Straker. Squared stone with ashlar
dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Aisleless 3-bay nave with south
porch and south-west bell turret, 2-bay chancel with north vestry, organ chamber.
Free Perpendicular style.
Chamfered plinth and set-back, moulded sill string, eaves cornice with corbels;
stepped buttresses. 2- and 3-light windows. Gabled south porch has panelled
double doors under moulded arch with square flower ornament. Octagonal bell
turret has shallow buttresses to alternate faces, chamfered loops to newel
stair, traceried single-light bell openings, embattled parapet and stone spire
with weathervane. Moulded panel on south of chancel with IHS and Emblems of
Passion. Gables with moulded coping and foliate cross finials.
Interior: Moulded chancel arch with foliage-carved capitals; segmental arch
with square flower ornament to organ chamber. Piscina and sedilia in chancel.
Much good woodwork including arch-braced collar-beam roofs; carved wallplate
with foliage cornice. Richly-carved font. Panelled and brattished dado,
linenfold bench ends. Carved pulpit, lectern, stalls and communion rail.
Mosaic chancel floor.
Listing NGR: NY9810466883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings