This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.943 / 50°56'34"N
Longitude: 0.3176 / 0°19'3"E
OS Eastings: 562917
OS Northings: 118512
OS Grid: TQ629185
Mapcode National: GBR NTH.WMH
Mapcode Global: FRA C6KM.1LK
Entry Name: Stone House
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295635
Location: Warbleton, Wealden, East Sussex, TN21
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Warbleton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Warbleton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
WARBLETON RUSHLAKE GREEN VILLAGE
TQ 6218 32/675 Stone House
This is a T-shaped building of several periods. The east wing is the oldest
portion. Its northern part is early C16, though the exterior has been altered
in the C18 and C19 and the north front is now faced with red brick and grey
headers on the ground floor and tile-hung above. Gable at its west end.
Gabled projection in the centre forming a porch, with room over. C18 door
of 8 fielded panels in porch. Some casement windows. Some sash windows
with glazing bars intact. The southern part of the east wing is early C17
and faced with ashlar. Two storeys and attic. Four windows. Cornice above
each floor. Tiled roof. Three gables with kneelers, coping and a smaller
gable without coping or kneelers at each end, the easternmost gable being
probably older than the remainder and blind. Casement windows with stone
mullions, diamond-shaped leaded panes, old green glass and original catches.
Stone 4-centred doorway and another tall blocked doorway further west. The
westernmost window bay and gable has been refronted with red vitreous brick
in the C18 and has a bay with a 3-light sash window on the ground floor.
The original house extended further west but was burned down. The present
west wing which forms a T portion to the east wing, was built by H Harcourt
in 1778 and has this date and the initials H. H. and M. H. on it on date
stones beneath 2 of the ground floor windows. The west front has 2 storeys
and 9 windows and is faced with grey headers on an ashlar base with window
dressings, quoins and vertical strips of red brick. Stringcourse of red
brick and grey headers. Wooden modillion eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Bay
of 3 windows on each floor at each end of the front, the windows in the south
bay being dummies and the rooms in it being lit from the south front. Central
doorway at the head of 5 wide steps with iron handrail having tall engaged
Doric columns on plinths, triglyph frieze, pediment, semi-circular fanight
and double doors of 8 moulded and fielded panels. Glazing bars intact except
in the ground floor windows on each side of the doorway which now have stained
glass. The north and south fronts of this wing are of red brick and grey
headers alternately and have 3 windows each. The east wing contains C17
panelling and a staircase of 1620 circa with ball finials to the newels.
The west wing has a fine staircase of a single flight to the half-landing,
there branching into 2. Articles in the Sussex County Magazine, Volume 8,
Listing NGR: TQ6291718512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings