This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.876 / 50°52'33"N
Longitude: 0.3288 / 0°19'43"E
OS Eastings: 563937
OS Northings: 111082
OS Grid: TQ639110
Mapcode National: GBR NV8.ZYN
Mapcode Global: FRA C6KS.KWP
Entry Name: Herstmonceux Place
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295324
Location: Herstmonceux, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Herstmonceux
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Herstmonceux All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
HERSTMONCEUX CHURCH ROAD
TQ 61 SW 13/411 13.10.52
The north-west front dates from the early C18. This has 3 storeys and 5
windows. Red brick and grey headers alternately. Parapet. Rubbed brick
stringcourses and relieving arches to the windows which have flush wooden
surrounds, stone keystones over and their glazing bars intact. The central
portion projects and both this and the flanking sections are edged with
long and short stone quoins.
Central doorway up 4 steps with stone Ionic columns, a broken scroll pediment
over and door of 6 fielded panels, flanked by narrow windows. On the first
and second floors above this doorway is a round-headed window flanked by
stone columns with a projecting cornice over and on each side of each such
window is an empty round-headed stone niche. In 1777 the house was enlarged
by Samuel Wyatt for the Reverand Robert Hare, (great grandfather of Augustus
Hare), the bricks for the new portion being taken from Herstmonceux Castle.
The north-east or entrance front was then remodelled and an L-portion added
to the south-west making the present main or garden front. The Wyatt portion
of the house has 2 storeys only. Red brick. Stone stringcourse and cornice.
Brick parapet. Windows in shallow brick reveals with glazing bars intact.
Between the ground and first floor windows are rectangular Coadeware plaques
alternately of a shell between cornucopiae and of vases. The north-east
front has 7 windows. The 3 centre window bays project with a pediment over
and long and short stone quoins edging both this projection and the flanking
portions. Central stuccoed porch at the head of 7 steps with a brick mounting
block on each side of these. The south-east front has 10 windows. The
recessed centre is flanked by large semi-circular curved bays of window
each on both floors surmounted by leaded saucer domes. This front has similar
Coadeware plaques but 4 of the 6 plaques on the curved bays are of cherub's
heads set in a wreath. Further to the south-west is a ground floor later
addition of 3 windows. Good staircase.
From 1807-1819 the house was occupied by Thomas Read Kemp, the founder of
Kemp Town, Brighton.
Listing NGR: TQ6393711082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings