This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8251 / 50°49'30"N
Longitude: 0.2213 / 0°13'16"E
OS Eastings: 556543
OS Northings: 105193
OS Grid: TQ565051
Mapcode National: GBR MTL.2S3
Mapcode Global: FRA C6CX.D1B
Plus Code: 9F22R6GC+2G
Entry Name: Central Building of Wootton Manor
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 26 January 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295122
Location: Long Man, Wealden, East Sussex, BN26
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Long Man
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Folkington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 50 NE
Central Building of Wootton Manor
(Formerly listed as Wootton House previously listed as Wootton Manor)
Country house. Mid C17 farmhouse on site of medieval manor house (C14 masonry
in north west wing) greatly enlarged by Detmar Blow for R. P. Gwynne, M.P. in
the same mid C17 style. Red brick in English bond, plain tile hipped and gabled
roofs, hipped dormers, brick stacks. Flint plinth on west side and flint walls
with ashlar details (arched doorway and cinquefoil headed window) to north
C17 rectangular block with Blow's extensions to north and south.
To the south west a large wing with hipped roof by Blow linked to the corner
of the south extension. The north west wing, converted from a barn by Blow,
probably incorporating remains of medieval chapel, is linked to the smaller
north extension. Wings flank a raised terrace on the west side of the central
block, since 1915 the main entrance front, approached through a forecourt
formerly the farmyard. Elevation of three storeys and attics on west side but
the lowest storey a basement on the east side, with east side doorway, formerly
the principal entrance, at higher level. Brick platt bands at floor levels
link with bold rusticated brick quoining, all exactly copied by Blow on
extensions and south west wing. C17 east front has a pair of large
contiguous cross gables. C20 gabled single storey porch off centre to
right flanked to either side by a sash with narrow sash sidelights. On
first floor above each, a similar sashed window and a sash without side
lights above porch. A small sash in each gable. To left, the south
west wing has two large stacks with tall panelled shafts alternating
with sashes with side lights on both floors of east side. A similar
window has an arched head to the central sash breaking through the eaves
in the centre of the south end wall. C17 front on east side has four sashes
on both upper floors. Single storey entrance porch with hipped roof projects
onto terrace off centre to left, flanked to either side by a three light
casement. Single light sashes in linking extensions to north and south.
All windows have rubbed brick flat arch heads with projections at centre
and at ends of each arch. All windows have glazing bars.
Interior: In C17 block exposed bridging beams, C18 fireplace in Dining
Room. The north extension contains an early C18 open well staircase
with twisted balusters and carved bracket to each tread end brought from
a house in Battersea which belonged to Gwynne family. Upper floor of south
west wing contains the Library by Blow fully fitted with book-cases; marble
fireplace in C18 French Baroque style.
Country Life, April 7 1955
Listing NGR: TQ5654305193
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings