This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8297 / 50°49'47"N
Longitude: 0.1366 / 0°8'11"E
OS Eastings: 550562
OS Northings: 105531
OS Grid: TQ505055
Mapcode National: GBR LRY.Z74
Mapcode Global: FRA C65X.30D
Entry Name: Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 12 August 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294874
Location: Alciston, Wealden, East Sussex, BN26
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Alciston
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Selmeston St Mary with Alciston
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
ALCISTON Court House
36/135 (Formerly listed as
The grade shall be amended to II*
The description should be amended to read:
Former manor house of Battle Abbey. C14 to C15 with later, especially late C18 or
early C19, alterations; two C19 wings with pyramidal roofs on north of medieval hall.
Originally flint rubble walls with stone dressings; west wing originally partly or
wholly timber framed; later brick dressings and lacing courses; first floors tile hung.
Plain tile roofs with hips to flanking cross-wings. H-shaped plan; former hall in
centre with two cross-wings, the last comprising a west, three bay, and possibly
slightly later wing, and an east, probably later medieval, five bay wing. Two through
passages. House re-orientated to east in late C18 or early C19, when first floor of
west wing converted to a granary.
Five bay east elevation (to east wing): stucco on ground floor. Four first floor
triple sashes with glazing bars and a single sash with glazing bars in centre. Four
similar windows below but the inner two with half-glazed doors in centre lights. Central
doorway with fanlight with radiating tracery and six-panelled door, the top four
panels fielded. Roof descends low over tile-hung south elevation of hall: three-light
attic window with sloping roof; ground floor triple sash with horns and glazing bars.
At left hand, C19 six flush panel door, with top two panels glazed, to through
passage. S elevation of west wing: flint ground floor with brick lacing courses.
N elevation of west wing: ground floor of flint and brick, with brick and flint stairs
incorporating dog kennel rising to ledged door; tile-hung timber framed first floor
jettied out on massive joists. Interior: two bay former open hall with a cross-passage
formed in lower west bay; two doorways retained, one with fragments of original
masonry. Upper east bay of hall retains C14 stone rere-arch of a hall window in both
N and S walls. Open truss. Roof with massive crown-posts with heavy four-way head
braces on cruciform plan. Inserted Tudor floor with massive stopped and chamfered
beam and joists; great chimney with chamfered bressumer. Inserted SW stair with
octagonal wooden newel with finial. Two bays of 3 bay west wing comprising solar or
first floor chamber with open truss, with ogee headed opening to hall space above
screen. Five bay east wing with crown-posts with moulded caps and bases to former
first floor chamber of exceptional size. SE ground floor room with earlier C19 reeded
fireplace surround with paterae; two semi-elliptical arches on columns; C19 straight
baluster stairs. Ledged and four and six panel doors generally.
See Sussex/Collection, Vols 100 (1962), 106 (1968) and 116 (1978).
ALCISTON Court House Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
TQ 5005 36/135 13.10.52
C17 or earlier timber-framed house, altered and enlarged in the C18 and since.
Of irregular plan, but the front forms a half H and the back an L. Partly
exposed timber-framing with the west end of the north front oversailing and
partly tile-hung or faced with flints. Hipped tiled roof. Sash windows with
glazing bars intact. Two storeys. Three window.
Listing NGR: TQ5056705530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings