This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8509 / 50°51'3"N
Longitude: 0.5525 / 0°33'8"E
OS Eastings: 579769
OS Northings: 108817
OS Grid: TQ797088
Mapcode National: GBR PX9.GJD
Mapcode Global: FRA D61V.H28
Entry Name: Crown House
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293992
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN38
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central St Leonards
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St Leonards-on-Sea St Leonard and St Ethelburga
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 7908 NE 10/196 19.1.51.
1828 by James Burton. Renamed Victoria House after Princess Victoria and Duchess
of Kent stayed here in 1834-35. Recently restored. Detached 2-storey building.
Painted stucco. Ground floor: central recessed door and 3-light sash windows in
slightly recessed segmental headed panels, seperated by 4 wide panelled piers.
1st floor: 4 pairs of coupled, fluted Ionic columns, supporting entablature with
wide cornice and parapet with pedimented centre. This 1st floor colonnade forms
a verandah with delicate wrought iron railing in front of central tall sash with
cornice and flanking canted bay windows with paired pilasters between. Part of
James Burton's design for St Leonards.
Nos 36 to 44 (consec) and No 40A (Eastern Colonnade), Royal Victoria Hotel,
Nos 48 to 53 (consec) (Western Colonnade), No 57 and Nos 60 to 62 (consec)
form a group, of which Nos 60, 61 and 62 are of local interest only.
Listing NGR: TQ7976908817
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings