This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7742 / 50°46'27"N
Longitude: 0.3005 / 0°18'1"E
OS Eastings: 562297
OS Northings: 99703
OS Grid: TV622997
Mapcode National: GBR MV8.BT5
Mapcode Global: FRA C7J1.DWM
Entry Name: The Redoubt Fort
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293531
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN22
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Devonshire
Built-Up Area: Eastbourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1065 The Redoubt Fort
TV 6299 1/34 27.5.49.
Built in 1806 as part of the same series of defences as the Martello Tower. This is rather a curiosity. It consists of 2 concentric circular brick walls with a dry moat between them. The inner wall is crenallated with a raised platform behind it, beneath which is a series of arches or recesses that houses stores and men as a magazine and barracks combined. In the centre is a circular grassed open space. During the 1939/45 war this fort was again used for defence purposes and some of the openings in the inner wall were strengthened by the construction of pill boxes and look outs.
Listing NGR: TV6229799703
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings