This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8823 / 50°52'56"N
Longitude: 0.0122 / 0°0'43"E
OS Eastings: 541646
OS Northings: 111125
OS Grid: TQ416111
Mapcode National: GBR KPW.PWK
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XR.W0Y
Entry Name: Malling House
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293013
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: St Michael South Malling
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 41 SW LEWES CHURCH LANE
3/505 (north side)
Country House, now the headquarters of the Sussex County Constabulary.
Mid Cl7 with late C17 addition, refronted circa 1720-26 and extended in C20.
Red and grey brick with orange dressings with moulded band and cornice to
panelled parapet. Horsham slab roof with three flat-headed dormers and
stacks to extreme left and right of centre behind ridge. 2 storeys and
attics, with cellars. Regular 9-bay front, glazing bar sashes with gauged
heads and dressed surrounds. Central painted rusticated and keyed door-
surround with superimposed Tuscan antae supporting open segmental pediment.
Eight-panel door. Front dated 1726 on downpipe bracket to right. 2-bay
early C20 2-storey extension in similar style set back to right. Lower red
brick and tilehung wing further to right with hipped roof. Dated 1958 on
downpipe. South front: in similar style. 4 bays with central wider
spacing. Outer ground-floor windows with opening doors below to form
French windows. All glazing bar sashes. West front: now partly masked
on ground floor by 1960's and 1970's extensions of no special interest.
Roof pitch steeper to left than to right of centre. Completely irregular
fenestration, much altered, of glazing bar sashes, all separated by fictive
pilaster strips. At this point on the exterior of the building can be
seen both Cl7 building stages. Interior: Hall. Black and white slab
floor. Panelled dado with arched panels above. Triglyph frieze, carried on
Doric columns flanking windows and panels and paired in corners. Moulded
door surrounds with segmental pediments and pulvinated friezes. Projecting
fireplace off-centre to right on wall opposite door, with bolection-mould
fire-surround and garlanded overmantel. Staircase. Two-flight return stair
with arched window at half-landing with splayed panelled reveals. Ramped
rail with wreathed foot. Fluted Composite columnar newel-posts, reflected
in similar pilasters on panelled dado. Close and loose twist spiral balusters
flanking colum-on-vase balusters, three per tread, square knops, gadrooned
below. Corniced trade-ends and carved wreathed cheek-pieces. Chief
Constable's Room and deputy. Early C18 fielded panelling and fireplaces.
Landing at head of stair with panelled segmental arch. Back stairs.
Square open-well four flight stair. Ramped rail, turned balusters and carved
B,o.E., Sussex, 1965, 609.
Listing NGR: TQ4164611125
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings