This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1751 / 51°10'30"N
Longitude: -0.4447 / 0°26'40"W
OS Eastings: 508818
OS Northings: 142912
OS Grid: TQ088429
Mapcode National: GBR GFT.8DF
Mapcode Global: VHFVX.7QRJ
Plus Code: 9C3X5HG4+24
Entry Name: Duke of Kent School
Listing Date: 28 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291843
Location: Ewhurst, Waverley, Surrey, GU6
Civil Parish: Ewhurst
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ewhurst
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/05/2017
Duke of Kent School
(Formerly listed as Duke of Kents School (Formerly Woolpit))
Country House now school. 1885 by George and Peto for a member of the Doulton tile family. Red brick with buff terracotta angle quoins and dressings, plain tiled roofs.
Roughly L-shaped plan with extensions to rear and built on a hilly site with forecourt between the two ranges. Two storeys with attics in gables and taller, three stage tower at angle to rear. Decorative brick and terracotta ridge stacks, some with corbelled tops and bands of terracotta work, to left end, centre, front right and rear. Two ranges with riple gabled section to left of re-entrant angle with one three-light mullioned, terracotta-dressed attic window in two gables, ogee-arched terracotta armorial panel in the third, all three with finials on the apex of the gable and sill course below. Three-light window to right hand gable on the first floor, hip-roofed angle bay to centre gable and large hall/staircase window of 12 lights in terracotta surround rising through ground and first floors of left hand gable. Two first floor windows in set back range to left and further one window range set back again to left end.
Flat-roofed brick extensions, similarly staggered, across the ground floor with mullioned and transomed casement fenestration. Double gable end to right hand projecting wing with angle bay window rising through two storeys on left hand gable end. One under-eaves casement, two first floor and one ground floor window on left hand side. Pyramidal roof and upper arcaded stage of tower visible to rear at junction of ranges under spiked weathervane finial. Flat-roofed brick extensions to end of right hand projecting wing. Brick flat-roofed entrance porch to re-entrant angle with arched section breaking forward and stepping up to tiled porch and carved double doors.
Left hand return front: angle bay oriel window to first floor left. Rear - triple gable range to right with two-storied hip-roofed angle bay windows to each. Tower to centre of set back range with pierced parapet to flat-roofed projecting ground floor and terracotta clad hip-roofed oriel window on second stage of tower. C20 brick extensions to left projecting forward and linking to formerly freestanding single storey hipped roof pavilion with spherical finial to roof apex, round arched, terracotta-dressed fenestration, the lower lights with terracotta balustrade across, and panelled door in columned surround and approached up a flight of steps.
Interior: panelled great hall with staircase to left. Two original bathrooms survive, the most splendid now attached to the headmasters accommodation decorated in blue/green tiles with bath in arched tile clad recess niche.
Listing NGR: TQ0881842912
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings