History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Meads

A Grade II Listed Building in Cranleigh, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1239 / 51°7'26"N

Longitude: -0.4914 / 0°29'29"W

OS Eastings: 505671

OS Northings: 137150

OS Grid: TQ056371

Mapcode National: GBR GGB.GL0

Mapcode Global: VHFW8.F0KR

Plus Code: 9C3X4GF5+HC

Entry Name: White Meads

Listing Date: 9 March 1960

Last Amended: 28 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044378

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291729

Location: Cranleigh, Waverley, Surrey, GU6

County: Surrey

Civil Parish: Cranleigh

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Cranleigh

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Cranleigh

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/10/2019

TQ 03 NE
6/90

CRANLEIGH
KNOWLE LANE
White Meads

(formerly listed as Whitemeads, previously listed as Bridge Cottage)

9/3/60
II
Farmhouse, now house. Late C15 with later alterations and extension to right of 1953. Timber-framed with colourwashed brick infill and tension bracing to two bays on left; C19 colourwashed brick to ground floor and to left side wall; extension of 1953 mostly of colourwashed brick but with reused timbers; tipped roof with gablets; early C17 brick ridge stack and C18 brick with oversailing courses.

Late C15 plan of central one-bay open hall flanked by two storey solar bay to left and cross passage and service bay to right; smoke-hood, added to hall and against cross passage. Circa 1550, replaced by brick chimney c.1600 when hall floored over; divided into two in C18. Two storeys; late C15 house of three window range with gabled C20 porch and C20 window with latticed lights; 1953 extension of two window range to right.

Interior not inspected but noted as having exposed timber framing with chamfered beams and jowled posts to tie beams of late C15 collar-truss roof with clasped purlins. Central former open hall has smoke-blackened rafters, and nailed framing with wattle partition to inserted smoke bay of c.1550; first-floor of solar bay to left is jettied into hall, with rounded jettied joists to crossing rail; inserted open fireplace of c.1600 with stop-chamfered bressummer; former bacon-smoking chamber over cross passage.

Listing NGR: TQ0567137150

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.