This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1177 / 51°7'3"N
Longitude: -0.5751 / 0°34'30"W
OS Eastings: 499830
OS Northings: 136345
OS Grid: SU998363
Mapcode National: GBR FDW.Z9H
Mapcode Global: VHFW6.Z5BH
Plus Code: 9C3X4C9F+3X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291756
Location: Dunsfold, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Dunsfold
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Dunsfold
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 93NE DUNSFOLD C.P. CHURCH GREEN
4/117 Church of St. Mary
9/3/60 and All Saints
Church. One build of c1270 - 1290 with C15 bell-cage, and C19 restoration.
Bargate stone rubble and blocks with ironstone galleting on nave, plain tiled
roofs with Horsham slabs to eaves on north and south sides, wood shingles to
bellcote and spire above. Cruciform plan with bellcote and spire to west end,
porch to south and chancel vestries. Tower and bellcote with offset buttresses
on west face. Two louvred, trefoil-head openings in each face of tower, squat
broach spire above under acorn finial and with decorative bands of fishscale
shingles. Window of 3-lights with intersecting and cusped tracery, early C14.
Majority of windows original, trefoil cusping and circle over in chancel windows
containing pointed trefoil in pointed enclosing arch. South windows of similar
design. East windows of each transept smaller and plainer with two trefoil
lights and quatrefoil over in chamfered surround. East window raised in 1882 -
three trefoil lights with three cinquefoil roundels over in moulded enclosing
arch. Early porch to south with trefoiled bargeboards on gable and curious
half-joint at gable apex. C16 4-centre planked and studded door with Tudor
roses in spandrels of entrance arch, remains of floral painting on underside
of porch roof. Priests door in south wall of chancel (now blocked) with
renewed attached jamb-shafts under corbel capitals and hood moulding.
Interior:- Renewed roof on chancel. Continuous sill moulding around nave and
chancel. Fine bellcage to west end with braced posts. Aisleless nave although
free standing pier in south transept indicates, with beginnings of arch, the
intention to build south aisle. Chancel arch raised in C19, both it and
transept arches with doubly hollow chamfers, hood mould over chancel arch C19.
Octagonal half-pier responds to transepts with deeply coved capitals. Rendered
walls on chancel once painted.
Fittings:- Triple sedilia and piscina in chancel with four arches having under-
cut hood mouldings dying into circular string-course. Outer wave moulding order
to arches with fine hollow inner trefoil order. Capitals and bases of Sussex
marble. Credence shelf to piscina with bowl and 2 circular basins. Each
transept has further piscina. C19 panelled pulpit with tracery patterning.
Round bowl font on centre stem and turreted cover. Rare C13 pews with bench
ends carried up into two knobs with deep down-pointing cusp between. Hatchment
of Arms of George IV 1828. The church is an unusually complete example of a
single build village church, and there is some visual evidence, in Pevsner's
view, that it was built by Royal Masons.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.200 - 201.
V.C.H. SURREY. VOL III (1967) pp.94 - 6.
Listing NGR: SU9982836346
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings