This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1869 / 51°11'12"N
Longitude: -0.6626 / 0°39'45"W
OS Eastings: 493567
OS Northings: 143929
OS Grid: SU935439
Mapcode National: GBR FD0.FBL
Mapcode Global: VHFVS.GFLF
Entry Name: Peper Harow House
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Last Amended: 2 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044443
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291584
Location: Peper Harow, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Peper Harow
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shackleford and Peper Harow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94SW PEPER HAROW C.P. PEPER HAROW PARK
5/75 Peper Harow House (formerly
9/3/60 listed as Peper Harow Mansion)
Country House, now an approved school. Designed 1765-8 by Sir William Chambers for the Third Viscount Middleton, completed by the Fourth Viscount in 1775-7. North porch added in 1843 by C. R. Cockerell, third storey and north wing added in 1913 by the First Earl of Middleton.
Yellow stock brick with stone window dressings, balustraded parapet and rusticated angle quoins. Roofs obscured by parapets but probably low pitch, hipped slate. Original house:cube of 5 by 7 bays, wing to right.
Entrance front:- Two storeys over basement with attic over stone cornice.
Balustraded parapet, brick parapet raised higher over originally central 3 bays,
which project slightly. 4 pilaster strips to parapet with crowning urns and central cartouche. Five 16-pane glazing-bar sash windows to attic floor, four 12-pane glazing bar sash windows to first floor. Two "Venetian" windows to ground floor with projecting entablatures over side lights. Glazing bar sash windows left and right of centre flanking a two storey stone porch with balustraded parapet above.One first floor window on porch in between angle pilasters. Doric columns to ground floor with triglyph frieze. Coronets and rosettes to metopes of cornice frieze, arched windows to sides. Double doors of four fielded panels with projecting hood over console brackets. 3 bay C20 range to right with three windows on first and attic floors, one Venetian window to ground floor. Single storey service wing to right.
Left hand return front (South): 7 bays with quoined angles. Architrave surrounds to first floor windows, glazing bar sash windows to ground floor under architrave hoods. In the centre of the roof balustrade is a cartouche with human figure supporters dressed in armour.
Garden front (West):- Central three bays project under brick parapet with crowning urns, balustraded parapet to flanking bays. Five glazing bar sash windows to each floor, Venetian windows to outer bays of ground floor. Central three windows to ground floor under projecting hoods, centre window pedimented.
Interior:- Hall - 6 doorways, doors of fielded panels in egg and dart mouldings.
Adam style fireplace, marble, with festoons etc. Ox skulls and drapery swags with three portrait medallions to chimney breast. Simple iron staircase, top lit by lunettes in narrow wall. Two plaster ceilings by Chambers, to south east and south west corner rooms with fine chimney pieces designed by Chambers and carved by Wilton. Drawing Room ceiling oval with Greek key and entwined rose pattern. Painting on dining room ceiling possibly by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.408.
Listing NGR: SU9356743929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings