History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aurum House

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1858 / 51°11'8"N

Longitude: -0.6166 / 0°36'59"W

OS Eastings: 496780

OS Northings: 143863

OS Grid: SU967438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.LXK

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.8GC9

Plus Code: 9C3X59PM+89

Entry Name: Aurum House

Listing Date: 21 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044475

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291460

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/02/2020

SU 9643 NE
12/177
GODALMING
MINT STREET (north side)
Aurum House

(Formerly listed as No 18 (Salvation Army meeting hall))

21.8.90

GV
II
Former chapel. Early C19, added to and altered 1930 (J.Janaway pers comm). Bargate rubblestone with brick dressings, the front of painted brick in Flemish bond. Concealed roof, of corrugated iron.

Two storeys, three x three bays, gable-end to road, the front bay an addition and the rear bays heightened at the time of this addition. Plinth; rusticated quoins; corniced first floor band bearing legend 'The Salvation Army'; eaves entablature and pediment. Central double door of six raised and fielded panels in raised surround. Windows have architraves and C20 two-light windows, the taller first-floor openings with blocked bases.

Rear: quoins; three round-arched windows, central one partly blocked. Right return: three tall round-arched windows, with tympana blocked and later eight-pane windows. Left return: central window as right-return windows.

The building was a Congregational Chapel in the 1830s and more recently a Salvation Army meeting hall.

In state of disrepair at time of inspection.


Listing NGR: SU9677943864

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.