This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1945 / 51°11'40"N
Longitude: -0.5577 / 0°33'27"W
OS Eastings: 500879
OS Northings: 144907
OS Grid: TQ008449
Mapcode National: GBR FD4.3TG
Mapcode Global: VHFVV.971N
Plus Code: 9C3X5CVR+QW
Entry Name: The Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291219
Location: Bramley, Waverley, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Bramley
Built-Up Area: Bramley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Bramley
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04SW BRAMLEY C.P. HIGH STREET
5/21 The Church of
9/3/60 Holy Trinity
Church. Early C13 chancel and tower, mid-C13 south transept, north aisle added in
1850 and restored in 1875-6 by Henry Woodyer, when south aisle and vestries were
added. Bargate stone rubble with hard chalk and Bath stone dressings, plain-tiled
roof, renewed on broach spire. Originally Cruciform plan, altered in 1850 and 1876,
now with porch to west, central tower, added aisles and vestries. Three gables to
restored west end, with broadest gable to centre. C19 Decorated Style windows on
sill courses to west end in flanking gables, two round-arched, Norman style lancets
with scalloped capitals on nook-shafts, over west porch. Offset, diagonal
buttresses to angles of west end. North aisle windows, C19, in style of C14, with
ogee tracery and hood mouldings, the windows alternating with buttresses. East
end:- three C13, splay-sided, chalk dressed, lancet windows, with three similar
windows on south side of chancel. C19 windows to south aisle. Gabled porch to west
end with Horsham slab roof, in Norman style. Round, arched, entrance with scalloped
capitals to jamb shafts and roll mouldings. Original C12 door surround to west door,
now restored, with zig-zag moulding to round arch and cushion capitals to jamb shafts
Double, C19, doors.
Interior:- Renewed roof. Three bay, round pier, chamfered arch arcade to north,
five bay round pier arcade to south. Hammer-beam type roof with cusped, arched
braces to north aisle. C19 chancel arch of coloured stone with C19 rood screen
Fittings:- C19 and C20 pews. C19 oak pulpit, octagonal on wooden columns with
Gothic arcading on panels. Old octagonal stone font now outside the church; C19
marble octagonal font inside. C20 reredos with linenfold panelling. C19 altar
triptych. C13 arched and chamfered piscina with fleur-de-lys keystone finial.
Monuments:- Transept: Dedicated to Mary Shurlock, Died 1748. Black stone with
grey border. Urn with flame finial over cornice, putti and apron below. South
aisle:- Monument to Richard Sparke, by E. Galfin of London. White stone, stele
background with mourning female and urn. Monument to Henry Ludlow. Died 1684.
Polychrome marble with broken pediment above and cartouche over round arched panel
and niche in flanking composite order pilasters. Gadrooned urn attached to panel
with gilt flame finial.
V.C.H. SURREY (1967 Ed.) Vol. III pp. 80-86
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp.117-118.
Listing NGR: TQ0087944907
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings