This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2129 / 51°12'46"N
Longitude: -0.7986 / 0°47'55"W
OS Eastings: 484011
OS Northings: 146648
OS Grid: SU840466
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.WD8
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.3SN2
Entry Name: 3, Downing Street
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044634
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290925
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Built-Up Area: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 8446 NE 6/64
Dated 1717 in pediment; older timber-framed core. 2 storey. Red brick of fine quality, with ribbed brick dressings. Chamfered plinth, rendered. String at 1st floor level stopping against projecting central bay. Elaborate carved brick moulded and dentilled cornice broken forward over central bay, which has similar pediment with raised date panel in tympanum. Brick parapet, panelled over side windows and broken forward over central bay, with moulded brick coping. 5 windows on 1st floor - the centre window in double raised surround with base moulding s of carved brick over small raised blocks flanking all, 4 windows on ground floor. All windows have stone cills and sashes with glazing bars restored. Central 4-panel (later) door in plain doorcase of early C19 pilasters, frieze and cornice, all in original carved brick surround of narrow panelled pilasters, double scroll brackets, frieze between brackets with double curved cut ornament flanking central block with carved shell ornament, crowned with moulded brick cornice. Panelled parapet to south front also. Illustrated in Country Life, July 10 1942, plates 6 and 7.
Nos 2, 3 and 4 and wall to No4 form a group with the listed buildings in Lower Church Lane (South SIde) and should be considered in relation to the latter.
Listing NGR: SU8401146648
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings