This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9735 / 54°58'24"N
Longitude: -2.0151 / 2°0'54"W
OS Eastings: 399128
OS Northings: 564321
OS Grid: NY991643
Mapcode National: GBR GBCX.JY
Mapcode Global: WHB2F.08P2
Plus Code: 9C6VXXFM+CW
Entry Name: Low Hall
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239918
Location: Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45
Civil Parish: Corbridge
Built-Up Area: Corbridge
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/05/2012
Low Hall (or Pele Tower)
House with tower. Original house C13 or early C14, service end heightened as tower in mid to late C15, main block remodelled in later C16 and again c.1675. Restoration and major extensions to rear c.1890. Roughly-squared stone and rubble with cut dressings; stone slate roofs.
South elevation in 2 parts: left part 2 storeys, 3 bays, irregular; tower on right 3 storeys. Main part has 3-light windows except for 2-light between bays to right (replacing pre-1890 door), with 1700 sundial above; to far right remains of chamfered shoulder-arched or pointed doorway to screens passage of original house. C19 moulded corbels to eaves; coped left end gable with finials; stepped-and-corniced left end and ridge stacks. Tower to right has 2-light window, 3-light windows to upper floors and hollow-chamfered cornice below flat-coped parapet; hipped roof. All windows leaded casements, in recessed and chamfered surrounds.
Right return shows late C19 door with elaborate studding and ironwork in renewed shouldered arch, chamfered 1st floor loop and 2 stone spouts below parapet. Left return shows small C13 or C14 window with pointed arch, to right of C19 porch.
Interior: Drawing room (original hall) has old chamfered beams on C19 moulded corbels and 2 service doorways in broad chamfered surrounds. Tower has east-west barrel vault and mural stair to 1st floor; newel stair to higher levels, lit by original loops (now internal). One jamb of original rear through-passage door remains; and the third service door appears to have been re-set in a rebuilt rear wall, possibly in the C16. Rich late C19 fittings include several fireplaces with fine carved hoods.
Listing NGR: NY9912864321
Other nearby listed buildings