This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9811 / 54°58'51"N
Longitude: -2.1009 / 2°6'3"W
OS Eastings: 393640
OS Northings: 565168
OS Grid: NY936651
Mapcode National: GBR FBRV.Y6
Mapcode Global: WHB2C.P2S8
Plus Code: 9C6VXVJX+CJ
Entry Name: The Hermitage
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239785
Location: Acomb, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Acomb
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St John Lee
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Country House. South wing rebuilt for Michael Coatsworth (owner 1741-1754),
remainder for Mr. Jurin in 1760's, some earlier fabric being incorporated.
Entrance block, east bay of south wing and some internal remodelling c.1890.
South front tooled-and-margined ashlar, other parts rubble or roughly-squared
stone with cut dressings (part of north-east wing brick-faced towards garden),
C19 parts ashlar; Lakeland slate roofs. C18 house H plan, infilled on west by
C19 entrance block; minor C18 and C19 additions to north.
South front 2 storeys, 7 + 1 bays. 3-stepped base, plinth, 1st floor and 1st
floor sill bands, modillion eaves cornice, balustraded parapet. 7-bay part
symmetrical. Projecting open-pedimented 3-bay centre has part-glazed door in
eared architrave with frieze and cornice. Plate-glass sashes to ground
floor, with 12-pane sashes above,1st floor with cornices on consoles and
pedimented in centre. Diocletian window in keyed architrave above. Right,
slightly set back C19 bay in same style has full-height canted bay facing east.
Hipped roof; 2 tall stepped ridge stacks with panelled shafts and modillion
West (entrance) front has C19 projecting 2-bay centre, with similar details:
right bay has 2-bay loggia with balustrade continued around forecourt;
plate-glass sash to left, renewed 12-pane sashes above. East (garden) front has
recessed centre with steps up to glazed double doors in late C19 pedimented
doorcase with lunette above. 12-pane sash windows in raised moulded surrounds
to right and in wing to right.
Interior: Early C19 dining room and library; late C19 drawing room with
elaborately-carved coffered ceiling. Morning room has early C18 fireplace with
deep bolection moulding. Kitchen has fireplace flanked by segmental arches
with rusticated surrounds, and old charcoal-burning oven. Cellars beneath
north-east wing have segmental brick vaults, except for one stone-vaulted
chamber with blocked openings behind brick wine bins.Mid-C18 open-well stair with
swept, moulded and wreathed handrail, turned balusters with faceted band below
the knops, and curtail. Similar balustrades to closed-string servants' stair.
Rococo fireplace in one bedroom and Chinese hand-painted wallpaper in another.
The house takes its name from being the reputed site of the C7 hermitage of St.
John of Beverley. A medieval house, the 'Armytage', is recorded in 1496.
Listing NGR: NY9364065168
Other nearby listed buildings