This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.986 / 54°59'9"N
Longitude: -2.106 / 2°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 393311
OS Northings: 565715
OS Grid: NY933657
Mapcode National: GBR FBQS.VG
Mapcode Global: WHB25.MYB1
Entry Name: Church of St John of Beverley
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Last Amended: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239803
Location: Acomb, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Acomb
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St John Lee
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ST JOHN LEE
Church of St John of Beverley
(previously listed as Church of St John Lee)
Parish Church. On medieval site, rebuilt 1843 by John Dobson, remodelled and
chancel added 1886 by William S. Hicks. Squared tooled stone with ashlar
dressings. Chancel roof lead, nave lead/Welsh slate, vestry stone slate.
Broad rectangular nave with small chancel, north vestry and west tower/spire.
Free C14 style. South elevation of nave four bays: stepped buttresses, with moulded
plinths; have gargoyles above. Hollow chamfer below parapet with moulded cornice.
3-light square-headed windows. Between eastern bays a doorway with moulded
4-centred arch in square frame with foliage carving and sacred monograms in
spandrels; moulded corbel to buttress above. Similar fenestration on north.
Shaped coped gables with finial cross to east. West tower in one stage with
stepped diagonal buttresses and boarded double doors in double-chamfered north
doorway. 4-light west window and plain chamfered pointed belfry openings. Stone
broach spire with lancet lucarnes and small lancets in spire faces, moulded
finial. Chancel has moulded plinth and stepped diagonal buttresses; 5-light
east window has hoodmould terminals with sacred monograms. Carved gable cornice
with bosses and grotesques. C14 Frosterley marble slab with Lombardic
inscription now set upright against east wall of nave on south of chancel.
INTERIOR: Tower arch with triple hollow chamfer. Moulded chancel arch with carved
foliage ornament and sacred monogram hoodmould stops. Moulded 4-centred rear
arches to all windows. Sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Elaborately-
carved chancel screen with rib-vaulted coving, carved organ and tower screens;
panelled dado with inscribed cornice. Low-pitched king-post roof with trusses
on curved brackets resting on stone corbels, filled with carved panels;
inscriptions and carving along wall plate. Panelled tower roof with sunburst
bosses. Fragments of medieval monuments and sculpture built into south wall of
tower; also in tower, Roman altar converted to sundial, and cup-and-ring stone.
Graded largely for the quality of the late C19 fittings and furnishings.
Listing NGR: NY9331165715
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings