This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9923 / 54°59'32"N
Longitude: -2.1056 / 2°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 393343
OS Northings: 566413
OS Grid: NY933664
Mapcode National: GBR FBQQ.Y6
Mapcode Global: WHB25.MSK7
Plus Code: 9C6VXVRV+WQ
Entry Name: Acomb House
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239761
Location: Acomb, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Acomb
Built-Up Area: Acomb
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St John Lee
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
18/2 Acomb House
House. C17 or earlier fabric remodelled in 1737 (dated keystone to south door
with initials S M for Simon and Mary Mewburn); stair wing added and north-east
kitchen wing remodelled c.1800; north-west wing c.1900, east wing 1925. Front
ashlar, other elevations coursed rubble with dressings except for north-west
wing snecked stone with rock-faced quoins and tooled dressings. Stone slate
roofs except for C20 grey tiles on some rear slopes.
South elevation in 2 sections. Main part 3 storeys, 5 narrow bays. Chamfered
plinth and rusticated quoins. Former central doorway and all windows plate-
glass sashes, all openings in raised moulded surrounds with keyed segmental
heads. Coped gables with moulded kneelers; end stacks with 3 shafts and moulded
cornices. To right, east wing 2 storeys, 2 bays. 8-panel door with radial
fanlight in left bay; 12-pane sash windows, otherwise details as main block.
Left return in 2 sections. To right, end of main block shows 2 blocked chamfered
doorways, with bricked-up opening to former stair on each of upper floors. To
left, set forward, north-west wing 2½ storeys, 2 wide bays. Central projecting
stack flanked by 2-storey canted bays with flat-topped half dormers above; all
windows small=paned sashes.
Rear elevation shows round-arched stair window (re-set 1900) with 24-pane sash
and radial glazing in head.
Interior: One contemporary ground floor room with fielded panels and fireplace
with elaborate moulded lintel flanked by fluted pilasters. Dining room of
c.1800 with plaster cornice and stone fireplace. Drawing room of c.1900 with
cornice and ornamental ceiling. Open-well cut-string stair with carved tread
ends, stick balusters, vase-on-urn newels and swept moulded handrail. Late C17/
early C18 1st-floor fireplaces. Principal-rafter roof with collar beams. Twin
barrel-vaulted wine cellars of c.1800 beneath kitchen wing.
Listing NGR: NY9334366413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings