History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Rochester, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2688 / 55°16'7"N

Longitude: -2.2509 / 2°15'3"W

OS Eastings: 384156

OS Northings: 597210

OS Grid: NY841972

Mapcode National: GBR D7QJ.H3

Mapcode Global: WHB0R.DTDR

Plus Code: 9C7V7P9X+GJ

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 10 November 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239725

Location: Rochester, Northumberland, NE19

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Rochester

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Horsley with Byrness

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Rochester

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/06/2019

NY 89 NW
16/65
ROCHESTER
Horsley
A 68 (east side)
Church of the Holy Trinity

Formerly listed as Church of the Holy Trinity, A68 (east side)

10.11.51
II
Parish church. 1844 by John and Benjamin Green. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and chamfered plinth; Welsh slate roof. Romanesque style. West tower, nave and apse, south porch.

Five bay nave with porch in left bay; keystone to doorway dated 1844. One-light windows with dripstones and sill band. Flat angle buttresses. Heavy modillion cornice. Apse has similar detail. Three storey west tower has one-light windows on ground and first floor and paired, louvred bell openings. Modillion cornice and pyramidal roof.

Interior has open timber roof with arched braces. Elaborate Gothic reredos, with crocketed finials. Good, light-oak seating, pulpit and choir stalls of c.1890. They are very simple and look later. In the apse stone tablets carved with the ten commandments, the creed and the Lord's Prayer. Wood panel over the tower arch inscribed "This chapel was erected in the year 1844. It contains 182 sittings, and in consequence of a grant from the incorporated society for promoting the enlargement, building and repairing of churches and chapels, the whole of that number are hereby declared to be free and unappropriated for ever ...."

In the porch a Roman altar.

Listing NGR: NY8415697210

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.