This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1476 / 55°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.2898 / 2°17'23"W
OS Eastings: 381628
OS Northings: 583738
OS Grid: NY816837
Mapcode National: GBR D8GX.2J
Mapcode Global: WH905.SWT3
Plus Code: 9C7V4PX6+33
Entry Name: Hesleyside Hall
Listing Date: 10 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239402
Location: Bellingham, Northumberland, NE48
Civil Parish: Bellingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bellingham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 88 SW BELLINGHAM HESLEYSIDE
5/21 Hesleyside Hall 1
Country House. 1719, east front by William Newton 1796. Earlier core; and
alterations mid Cl9. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roofs. A courtyard house.
3 storeys. South front of 1719, 9 bays with the right 2 added in same style
by William Newton. Doorway in central 3 bays was formerly archway to courtyard
and has moulded segmental arch with keystone and an outer frame of fluted Tuscan
pilasters and cornice. Segment-headed windows, with keystones. Band above 1st
floor. Giant pilasters at angles and after 7th bay. Moulded cornice and parapet
topped by 4 heraldic beasts. To left, late C18 lower section with first 2 sash
windows then blank walling with pilasters, cornice and parapet.
East front 7 bays. Doorway with Ionic pilasters, frieze and cornice. All
windows in entablature except top windows which have architraves only. Pediment
to window above door. Slightly projecting 3-bay pedimented centre with rusticated
quoins. Rusticated quoins at angles also. Plain parapet.
Entrance side has square open porch, brought from west front in mid C19, which
has Ionic columns and Adam-style capitals. To left a niche with an urn and a
panel above with lion rampant. To right, a 3 bay screen to courtyard has central
arch with rusticated surround, and above a 2-stage clock tower. Lower stage
has clock and upper open stage, which is probably late C19, has round-arched
openings, heavy banded angle pilasters and Italianate pyramidal roof.
East range, extensively altered mid C19, has irregular fenestration including
several Venetian windows. Remnants of early C17 loggia arcade with heavily
rusticated arches visible in courtyard wall. Hipped roofs with tall stone ridge
Good interior includes hall which has an imperial staircase with elaborate cast-
iron balusters; also an Adam-style plaster ceiling and Ionic columns and pilasters.
This work was done by Ignatius Bonomi in 1812. Dining room has stucco and
painted decoration of 1847.
Listing NGR: NY8162883738
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings