This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4435 / 53°26'36"N
Longitude: -0.8117 / 0°48'41"W
OS Eastings: 479027
OS Northings: 394740
OS Grid: SK790947
Mapcode National: GBR QXSM.29
Mapcode Global: WHFFR.HPQZ
Plus Code: 9C5XC5VQ+C8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin with Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Last Amended: 23 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045087
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241195
Location: West Stockwith, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10
Civil Parish: West Stockwith
Built-Up Area: West Stockwith
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: West Stockwith
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 79 SE
MAIN STREET(east side)
Church of St. Mary the Virgin with boundary walls and gates(Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)
Parish Church,1722,for William Huntington.Brick with pantiled roof and ashlar dressings.Brick plinth with moulded coping,chamfered quoins,moulded brick eaves band,moulded coped parapet and gables,moulded sills.Nave and chance under continuous roof,bell turret at west end,one storey,four bays.C18 addition,one storey,one bay,brick with pantiled roof,at east end.West side has to right,moulded ashlar door case with frieze and cornice;double-leaf eight panelled door with panelled overlight.Above,lozenge datestone inscribed'W.H.1722.'To left, three large round headed leaded windows with keystones.Two decorative lead rainwater heads and downpipes.West end window similar.East side has,to left,round headed doorway with keystone containing C20 double-leaf panelled door with fanlight,and to right,two round headed leaded windows with keystones.Above,to west,timber bell turret,two stages,with leaded first stage,four louvred bell openings with pointed heads and Gothick tracery.Moulded cornice,square domed lead roof with decorative weather vane and cross.Interior,plastered;splayed window reveals.Elaborate plaster cornice to coffered ceiling with central acanthus leaf boss and C20 light fittings.Stained glass 1842 in central window,north side.Fittings include plain baluster font,railing at west end with turned balusters,panelled open pulpit,carved eagle lectern and unusual framed pine pews,C.1900.East end has altar place flanked by single Ionic pilasters with decorative capitals,and beyond,single moulded doorcases with friezes and cornices;each with six panelled door.Above,inscribed panel,on either side,that to left with Lord's Prayer,that to right with Creed.Above again,scrollwork framed oval cartouche,that to left inscribed Blessed is he that considereth the poor,Psalm XLIst,verse 1st,that to right inscribed'Let thy Priests be clothed with righteousnness,Psalm CXXXIId,verse IXth.'In north west corner,sculpted monument to William Huntington D.1714 by E.Poynton.Marble and slate.Moulded rectangular base,inscribed panelled frieze,flanked by two engaged square balusters,moulded cornice.Clothed reclining figure,partly draped,holding the draft of a ship.To right classical style memorials 1824 and 1809.Two classical style memorials,1825 and 1840,one tablet 1863.Outside to west,stone coped brick boundary wall with scrolled brackets and iron spearhead railing;two square brick gate piers with tapered square caps and ball finials.To east,rendered brick boundary wall with stone coping,enclosing burial ground.To south,double-leaf close boarded gateway with timber lintel;to east,two niches.Central C19 panelled stone font.
Listing NGR: SK7902794740
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings