This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.97 / 54°58'12"N
Longitude: -2.4583 / 2°27'30"W
OS Eastings: 370755
OS Northings: 564031
OS Grid: NY707640
Mapcode National: GBR CB8Z.K5
Mapcode Global: WH912.6BMR
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 24 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240754
Location: Haltwhistle, Northumberland, NE49
Civil Parish: Haltwhistle
Built-Up Area: Haltwhistle
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haltwhistle Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HALTWHISTLE MARKET PLACE
(South side, off)
20/20 Church of the
24/11/67 Holy Cross
Parish church. Early C13; restored 1870 by R.J. Johnson (nave west end and
bellcote rebuilt; lancets inserted in aisles; roof pitches heightened;
interior redecorated). Coursed and random rubble; green slate roofs. Wide
aisled nave (almost square plan) with vestry on north aisle; chancel. Early-
4-bay nave. Buttressed aisles have small lancets and steep pent roofs.
Partly-restored pointed north and south aisle doorways with colonnettes.
3 original lancets on both sides of clerestory. Steep nave roof. Rebuilt,
buttressed west end has 2 tall lancets with round window above. Rebuilt
gabled bellcote with twin openings. Lower 4-bay chancel with lancet windows.
Blocked 2-light, mullioned low-side window on chancel south wall. East end
has clasping buttresses with offsets and group of 3 stepped lancets above
sill string. Steep chancel roof. Gabled 2-bay vestry.
Interior. Nave: arcades have pointed double-chamfered arches, under
hoodmoulds, on filleted responds and circular piers with moulded bases and
irregular octagonal capitals; head-stop over south-east pier; clerestory
windows, with splayed rear arches, set above spandrels of arcade; 1870 arch-
braced, king-post roof. Small trefoil-headed piscina near east end of south
aisle. Chancel: double-chamfered, pointed arch under hoodmould with head-
stops (inner order on filleted responds); semi-octagonal rood-screen corbels
flanking arch; 3 east end lancets have trefoil-headed rear arches and
colonnettes with shaft rings; restored sedilia has 3 stepped-up seats under
trefoil-headed arches on filleted shafts; small piscina in trefoil-headed
niche; roof, similar to nave, possible painted 1881 to desgin by C.E. Kempe.
Fittings, monuments and stained glass. In nave: hexagonal stone font
probably re-cut with crude inscribed decoration and letters: R.P. July 26
1676; roughly-carved circular stoup on column; 4 north aisle windows 1897 by
Morris and Co.; north aisle east window 1891 by C.E. Kempe. In chancel:
Rood screen 1923 by Hicks and Charlewood; 3 elaborate medieval grave slabs
and recumbent effigy of knight (possibly Thomas De Blenkinsopp died 1388)
in sanctuary; 1869 carved marble reredos depicting Nativity of Christ;
Memorial stone to John Ridley died1632 and aedicular wall monument to Wm.
Gibson died 1785, both on south wall; 3 east lancets with 1871 glass by
William Morris; windows depicting 4 Evangelists and 4 Latin Fathers, 1900-04
by C.E. Kempe.
(R.G. Barrett and Canon L. Watson, Church of the Holy Cross, Haltwhistle
Seven Centuries of Worship, 1980) a Church guidebook.
Listing NGR: NY7075164029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings