History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hockerton, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1004 / 53°6'1"N

Longitude: -0.9321 / 0°55'55"W

OS Eastings: 471596

OS Northings: 356445

OS Grid: SK715564

Mapcode National: GBR BJR.R4M

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.NBBH

Plus Code: 9C5X4329+54

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242160

Location: Hockerton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Hockerton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hockerton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(east side)
Church of
St. Nicholas


Parish church. C12, C13, C14, restored 1876 by Hodgson Fowler.
Ashlar. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridge. Chancel, nave
and porch with coped gables and single decorative ridge crosses.
Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Embattled diagonally
buttressed tower of 2 stages with bands, upper stage C14, set on
a chamfered plinth with moulded band over. Single worn gargoyle
on each side. West side has a moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and decorative label stops. Above is a single restored C14
arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and
human head label stops. Above is a single small blocked trefoil
arched opening. There are 4 arched C14 bell chamber openings
each with 2 arched and cusped lights. The west side has a single
and the south side 2 rectangular lights. The north nave is set
on a shallow chamfered plinth, the western most side with a
moulded band continuing from the tower. Blocked moulded arched
doorway with hood mould and label stops. Above and to the right
is a single pointed arched light. To the left is a single C14 3
light window with arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with
hood mould and human head label stops. The chancel is set on a
chamfered plinth and has in the north wall a blocked arched
doorway with hood mould and to the left a single C14 window with
3 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The east chancel
has a single C14 window with 3 arched and cusped lights,
mouchettes, flat arch, hood mould and label stops over is a flush
relieving arch. To the right is a carved C14 grotesque head.
The buttressed south chancel has a single restored window with 3
arched and cusped lights and tracery under a flat arch. The
dressed coursed rubble south nave is set on a low ashlar plinth
and is buttressed to the right. Single restored C14 window with
3 arched and cusped lights, tracery and flat arch. To the left
is a single small chamfered arched C12 light. The porch is set
on a chamfered plinth and has an arched entrance with hood mould
and impost bands. The side walls each have single small arched
lights. Inner Caernarvon arched doorway with stoup in the east
wall and decorative wooden bench end inscribed "O M 1599". to
the left of the porch is a single C13 lancet with hood mould.
Interior. Double chamfered tower arch, chamfering to arch only.
Unmoulded C12 chancel arch. The south chancel has an arched
recess with hood mould and label stops, and inner worn
decoratively carved C14 niche, probably the remains of an Easter
Sepulchre. Restored C16 alms box. Some bench ends C16 decorated
with carved indents with C19 replicas, font and remaining
furniture C19. In the north chancel is an oval marble plaque to
John Augustine Finch, 1780. The memorial to John Whetham, 1781,
has an oval inscription plaque with fluted brackets supporting an
entablature surmunted by a decorative urn with shroud draped
over. The apron has a decorative shield. In the tower is a
board detailing "Donation To The Poor of Hockerton" dated 1832.

Listing NGR: SK7159656445

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.