This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1354 / 53°8'7"N
Longitude: -1.0231 / 1°1'23"W
OS Eastings: 465454
OS Northings: 360255
OS Grid: SK654602
Mapcode National: GBR 9GY.D5Q
Mapcode Global: WHFH6.8G24
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045616
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241852
Location: Bilsthorpe, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Bilsthorpe
Built-Up Area: Bilsthorpe
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bilsthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
BILSTHORPE CHURCH HILL
SK 66 SE
7/1 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, 1663, restored 1873 by T. C.
Hine. Squared dressed stone, snecked stone, ashlar dressings.
Plain tile and C20 slab tile roofs. West tower, nave, chancel,
vestry, south transept, south porch. West tower, C14 and 1663, 2
stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, crenellated parapet,
2 obelisk pinnacles to west. 2 diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs.
First stage has to west late C14 cusped triple lancet in coved
four centred arched reveal with hood mould and stops. Above,
remains of clock. Second stage has 4 double round headed
openings, 1663, and to south, tablet inscribed '...Chwardens
1663'. Chancel, C15 and C18, restored, 2 unequal bays, has to
north a C18 buttress to east and a C15 buttress to south, 2
setoffs. Central C15 cusped double lancet with four centred
arched head and hood mould. To west, blocked door, C14, with
hood mould. To south, a buttress to east, single setoff. Vestry
has chamfered plinth and coved eaves, 2 coped gables. East and
west sides have each a chamfered single lancet with hood mould
and mask stops. North side has a shouldered C19 door. Chancel,
late C14 and C16, 2 bays, has plinth to east and remains of cross
on west gable. North side has to west late C14 double cusped
ogee lancet with chamfered square headed reveal. East end has a
C19 Perpendicular style triple lancet with panel tracery and four
centred arched reveal with hood mould. South side, 2 builds, has
off-centre buttress, 3 setoffs. To east, late C14 double cusped
ogee lancet with square headed reveal, partly restored. To west,
larger C16 double ogee lancet with Decorated tracery, square
headed reveal and hood mould. South transept, 1873, single bay,
has moulded and chamfered plinth and parapet, single spouts to
east and west, cross on south gable. To south, Perpendicular
style cusped triple lancet with four centred arched reveal and
hood mould. South porch, C15, restored, has chamfered plinth,
coped gable with kneelers and remains of cross. Chamfered C19
doorway with moulded head and hood mould with stops. Common
rafter roof, C19. South doorway, C14, coved and moulded with
hood mould with square stops and rosettes. Aisleless nave has to
south elliptical moulded arch with hood mould. To north, stained
glass window, 1938. Restored C15 tie beam roof with chamfered
timbers and corbels. Tower arch, C19 in C14 style, double
chamfered and rebated with moulded square imposts, containing 3-
bay C20 oak screen with traceried top and cresting with cross.
Tower chamber has west window with stained glass by Kempe, 1880.
South transept (Savile chapel) has south window with Arms in
stained glass and low pitched principal rafter roof with moulded
timbers and curved braces carried in timber angel corbels.
Chancel arch, restored, C13 style, double chamfered and rebated,
with half-round responds with moulded and foliate capitals.
North side has C19 four centred arched openings with shafts and
hood mould. East end has elaborate C19 carved and painted timber
reredos with traceried panels and cresting. East window has
stained glass, 1878. South side has to east, C15 pillar piscina
and C13 chamfered piscina. C19 king post roof with moulded tie
beams, cusped struts, shafts and traceried spandrels. Vestry has
C19 lean-to roof. Fittings include C12 cylindrical font with
older base and plain cover, pulpit partly C17, octagonal, oak,
with linenfold panels and rosettes. Timber lectern c.1946. C19
roll top oak benches and C20 chairs. 3 C19 and single C20
chamfered choir stalls. Memorials include marble and slate
wall tablet, 1649, with square tablet in moulded surround with
shaped apron and 2 flanking Corinthian columns on incised
brackets, carrying forward-breaking entablature with semi-
circular pediment carrying 3 heads, 2 winged. Tympanum contains
book and wreath. To William Chappell, Bishop of Cork and Ross.
Marble tablet, 1834, marble and slate tablets, 1839, Charity
Board, 1849 and 1857, square slate tablet with oval marble
cartouche, 1859. Large marble wall monument, 1887, with
inscribed brass and moulded ring, formerly containing wreath,
flanked by ringed shafts carrying entablature with moulded crest
and recess containing owl. Remains of inscribed foliated cross
slab in cabinet. Roll of honour, list of rectors, war memorial
brasses, 1920 and 1945. Brass C20.
Listing NGR: SK6545460256
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.