This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8974 / 52°53'50"N
Longitude: -0.9683 / 0°58'5"W
OS Eastings: 469502
OS Northings: 333823
OS Grid: SK695338
Mapcode National: GBR BM7.81Z
Mapcode Global: WHFJD.3F6N
Entry Name: Group of Headstones Approximately 12 Metres South of South Transept of Old Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241819
Location: Colston Bassett, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Colston Bassett
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Colston Bassett
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
COLSTON BASSETT NEW ROAD
SK63SE (east side, off)
4/12 Group of headstones
- approx. 12 metres
south of south
transept of old
Church of St Mary
Group of headstones. Early and late C18. Mainly slate. The
following 8 are of listable quality:
1. Of stone with double arched head with large crude round-faced winged
angel. Inscribed in large capitals to Mary daughter of John Bonser
by Mary his wife. Probably early to mid C18.
2. Small, rectangular with round-faced winged angel to Mary daughter
of Thomas Sumner by Anne his wife d.1710 aged 10 years. On the
back of the stone is a list of 5 more children who all died in
infancy: Eliz. d.1696, Tho. d.1696, Ann d.1697, John d.1698,
3. Larger rectangular with round-faced winged angel. To Thomas Sumner
d.1727 in his 62nd year. Also Ann his wife d.1736 aged 67.
4. Tall, classical with finely cut details, shaped head. To Ferneough
Barratt d.1799. Signed by 'Wood'.
5. Shaped head, finely cut details including flowing foliage. To Mary
wife of Ferneough Barratt d.1791.
6. Rectangular with finely cut flowing decoration. To Wm. Parker jun.
7. Rectangular with flowing decoration. To Eliz. daughter of Wm. and
Mary Parker d.1757 aged 17.
8. Shaped, classical, with finely cut details. To Wm. Parker d.1792.
Also Mary his wife d.1794.
Listing NGR: SK6950233822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings