This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4757 / 55°28'32"N
Longitude: -1.7407 / 1°44'26"W
OS Eastings: 416485
OS Northings: 620242
OS Grid: NU164202
Mapcode National: GBR J583.XX
Mapcode Global: WHC15.7MBL
Plus Code: 9C7WF7G5+7P
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236524
Location: Eglingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Eglingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: South Charlton St James
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
EGLINGHAM SOUTH CHARLTON
NU 12 SE
3/181 Church of St. James
Parish church, 1862 by James Deason of London for 4th Duke of Northumberland.
Snecked stone with tooled ashlar dressings; grey Lakeland slate roof. 4-bay
unaisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Early English
style. Chamfered plinth. Nave has lancets in side walls, large stepped
buttress at south-east corner, 2 taller lancets with hoodmoulds in west end,
and stepped western bellcote with pointed arch and moulded finial. Gabled
porch has double-chamfered arch with hoodmould on shafted jambs, and a square-
headed loop in each return; collared rafter roof with ashlar pieces. South
doorway has studded double doors with foliate hinges in similar arch. Chancel
has studded priest's door on south with foliate hinges, under moulded arch on
shafted jambs; window of 2 trefoil-headed lights to right. Stepped triplet of
lancets with hoodmoulds in east end. Pent vestry has twin lancets to east and
stepped stack with round shaft on chancel wall.
Interior: Plastered. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch on shafted responds
has hoodmould with foliage boss stops. Integral stone pulpit with quatrefoil
frieze and foliate corbel bookrest. Collar-beam nave roof with arch braces
rising from moulded stone brackets; collared rafters and ashlar pieces.
Collared common-rafter chancel roof with ashlar pieces. Panelled sanctuary
and reredos dated 1885; moulded altar rail on wrought-iron standards. Simple
choir stalls and bench pews in nave. Octagonal font with dogtooth ornament,
and cover with ornamental ironwork.
Information re architect from Dr. Shrimpton, Estate Archivist.
Listing NGR: NU1648520242
Other nearby listed buildings