This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3195 / 52°19'10"N
Longitude: -0.8388 / 0°50'19"W
OS Eastings: 479242
OS Northings: 269681
OS Grid: SP792696
Mapcode National: GBR BVC.JQW
Mapcode Global: VHDRM.DYWQ
Plus Code: 9C4X8596+RF
Entry Name: Holcot War Memorial
Listing Date: 19 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360303
Location: Holcot, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Holcot
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Holcot St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Holcot War Memorial
(Formerly listed as War Memorial)
The war memorial stands on a road junction near the centre of the village, where Back Lane branches off Moulton Road. It comprises a c. 4 m tall, medieval-style, Weldon stone cross with an elaborate foliate head. That stands on a squat two-stage octagonal shaft which rises from a square plinth on a stepped octagonal base of Derbyshire stone. Around this is a modern pebble surround with kerb (not included in listing). Slate panels are inset in the plinth. That to the front is inscribed THIS CROSS WAS GIVEN BY/ MRS E.L. DANIELS/ THE PATRON OF THIS LIVING. The rear face is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/. GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN THAN THIS. The names of those who died in the war appear on the other two faces. The name of a villager who died in the Second World War was added on the front panel.
Sources; Northampton Mercury 20 February and 30 July 1920
Listing NGR: SP7924269681
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/05/2016
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.
At a village meeting on 16 February 1920 to discuss brass memorial plaques in the church and chapel it was announced that Mrs Daniels, the patron of the living, wished to fund a war memorial cross. The memorial, designed and erected by Pullens of Northampton, was unveiled by the Rural Dean on 27 July 1920.
Other nearby listed buildings