This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1781 / 53°10'41"N
Longitude: -0.8657 / 0°51'56"W
OS Eastings: 475910
OS Northings: 365156
OS Grid: SK759651
Mapcode National: GBR BHW.PZM
Mapcode Global: WHFH2.NCZY
Plus Code: 9C5X54HM+6P
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Rood
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045958
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242800
Location: Ossington, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Ossington
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ossington
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
Tagged with: Church building
SK 76 NE OSSINGTON CHURCH LANE
1/96 Church of the
Estate church. 1782-83. Minor C19 alterations and additions.
By John Carr. Probably for Robert Denison. Classical style.
Ashlar with hipped and gabled slate roof. West tower, nave and
chancel under continuous roof. Vestry and porch to south. 5
bays. Stepped plinth, lintel band, moulded eaves cornice. C18
windows have rebated round headed recesses. West tower, 3
stages, square plan. First stage has glazing bar sashes with
Gothick tracery to north, south and west. Cornice band. Second
stage has rebated corners and cornice and a round opening on each
side, those to east and west louvred. Above, bell stage with
lintel band and 4 round headed louvred openings. Cornice
supported by 3 Tuscan columns at each corner. Above again, drum
with round headed openings to east and west, clock to south, and
louvred round opening to north. Stone dome with ball finial and
wind vane. Nave and chancel has central porch to south, with
Tuscan columns, antae and dentillated pediment. Moulded round
headed doorcase with Gothick fanlight and double panelled door.
Flanked by 2 windows, that to east reduced and partly covered by
vestry. East end has lintel band. North side has concrete
buttress to north east corner. To east, C19 ogee headed door in
C18 window recess and above it, a round headed window. To west,
4 C18 windows, 2 to right with Gothick tracery. Vestry at south
east corner, C19, ashlar, single bay, coped gables. Paired round
headed light to west only. Aisleless nave has panelled oak dado
with carved top rail by Lady Elinor Denison, 1907. Sill band,
moulded window heads, moulded cornice and coved ceiling. West
end has round headed tower arch occupied by C19 barrel organ,
flanked by single round head recesses. South side has to east,
window with glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1916; middle
window with glass by G. Cooper-Abbs, 1939; western window with
stained glass C19. North side has easternmost window with
stained glass, C19. Tower chamber has no architectural features.
Chancel separated from nave by 3 moulded round arches with Tuscan
columns and antae, C20 timber rood. Single bay chancel has to
east, central moulded round headed recess. Reeded cornice and
coved ceiling. To north, window with stained glass, c.1871. To
south, window with stained glass, c.1899. Single bay vestry has
principal rafter roof with collars. Fittings include panelled
and moulded benches and stalls, C19 font with round alabaster
stem on octagonal base, carrying octagonal bowl with quatrefoil
panels. Timber pulpit, late C18, with octagonal body, base and
stem. Carved panels and coping by Lady Elinor Denison, early
C20. Oak lectern with clustered stem, octagonal base and flared
top. C18 litany desk carved and with traceried panels and
Gothick cresting. C17 Mannerist painting. C19 cope chest.
Monuments include chest tomb with octagonal corner piers,
traceried panelled sides with cusps, quatrefoils and lozenges,
brass shields with Arms. Moulded top with re-cut brasses and
text border, to Reynald Peckham and wife, 1551. Renaissance
revival wall tomb, 3 stages, with table base containing 6 male
and 6 female child figures, moulded edges and frieze with Arms.
Above, pair of facing, kneeling figures with helmet between them.
Back panel has 3 Ionic columns, foliate frieze, and panels with 2
scrolled Arms. Above, 3 Corinthian columns with projecting
entablature and pediment with ball finials. Tympanum has 2
reclining figures with skull and hour glass. Above again, oval
cartouche with Arms. To William Cartwright, 1602, and wife,
1613. Oval marble cartouche with drapery and cherubs, and
above, Arms and foliate finial. To William Cartwright, 1704.
Large wall monument with rectangular inscribed panel, shaped
apron, pulvinated frieze, and pair of urns with flames. Above, 2
swagged obelisks with ball finials. Between them, cherub
supporting inscribed drapery. To George Cartwright, 1710.
Framed marble tablet with inscribed panel flanked by draped
columns, on cherub corbel. Cornice and swagged brackets
carrying cartouche with Arms. To George Cartwright, 1752. Large
wall monument, marble and slate,with obelisk shaped back panel,
inscribed slab with scroll brackets, and above, draped urn, Arms
and swag. To John Wilkinson, 1780. Signed "T King, Bath'.
West end has 2 marble monuments by Nollekens with moulded
plinths, panelled bases, iron guard rails, with full size
standing male figures. That to William Denison, 1782, to left,
has relief panel with quayside scene, and figure holding text.
That to right to Robert Denison, 1785. Oval marble and slate
tablet with shouldered base carrying urn with Arms, to Robert
Wilkinson, 1789. Inscribed 'T King Ft. Bath'. Recessed
Egyptian style monument with claw feet, swag, gable and
acroteria, to John Denison, 1820. Marble and slate tablet, 1821.
Classical style marble and slate tablet with relief portrait in
panel flanked by square columns with entablature and wreathed
apron, 1918. Signed 'A Drury R.A.'. 3 brasses, C20. 2 oval
slate tablets, 1972. Gothic style marble war memorial tablet,
1919. War memorial brass, 1946.
Listing NGR: SK7591065156
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings