History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Staunton, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9808 / 52°58'50"N

Longitude: -0.8021 / 0°48'7"W

OS Eastings: 480526

OS Northings: 343274

OS Grid: SK805432

Mapcode National: GBR CMT.21S

Mapcode Global: WHFJ2.NB8Q

Plus Code: 9C4XX5JX+85

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045995

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242683

Location: Staunton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG13

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Staunton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Staunton in the Vale



8/48 Church of St. Mary


Parish Church. C14, 1687, largely rebuilt in 1853 by E. J. Willson of
Lincoln, restored in 1936. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and some
rendering. Slate roofs with tiled cap to tower. Ashlar coped gables,
with kneelers to east chancel, and 3 ridge finials. The church is buttressed
and stands on a plinth which is shallow in places. A string course runs
under the east chancel window and around the south, west and north aisle walls,
interrupted by the south porch and north door. Nave, north aisle, tower over east
end of north aisle, north vestry, chancel, south porch.The west end of the nave has
a 14-light arched, flowing tracery window with cusping, hood mould and label
stops. The west end of the north aisle has a 3-light arched and traceried
window with hoodmould and label stops. The angle buttresses of the west wall
rise above the roof line and have decorated pinnacles, separating nave and
aisle is a similar single buttress. The north aisle has a doorway with
foliate decorated capitals extending to imposts with ogee arch, finial and
label stops over. Above is a niche with damaged base, and canopy decorated
with crockets, cusping and 2 small heads. To the east is a slate wall tablet
to the Revd. John Mounsey, c.1827 by R. Harston, Newark. There are two 3-light
arched and traceried windows with hood moulds and label stops. The buttresses
rise above the gargoyled corbel table and terminate in decorated pinnacles.
The angle buttressed C14 tower of 2 stages is rendered in places under the
bell chamber. The north wall has a small square headed doorway with rectangular
opening above. There are 3 further small rectangular lights. The rendering
is dated 1936. The east wall has on the 1st floor a rectangular light with
the date 1687 over. On the ground floor is a damaged slate tablet to the Revd.
John Staunton, c.1851, by E. Marshal, Newark. The south wall has a rectangular
light. There are four 2-light arched openings to the bell chamber with tracery
and cusping. They have hood moulds over with label stops to the south and north
There is a gargoyled corbel table, each side having, 2 larger gargoyles.
Between the tower and vestry is a small arched window. Steps lead down to a
doorway, with depressed arch, in the west wall of the vestry. The north wall
of the vestry has an arched single light window with tracery and cusping, and an
arched doorway. The east wall has an arched 2-light window with cusping,
hood mould and label stops. The arched 3-light east chancel window has
tracery with cusping, and hood mould and label stops over. There is an angle
buttress to the south. The south chancel has an arched doorway flanked by
single 2-light arched windows with tracery, cusping, hood moulds and label stops.
There is a gargoyled corbel table. The south nave has three 3-light arched
windows with hoodmoulds and label stops. The centre window has flowing tracery
the outer windows are both reticulated with multifoils. The buttress which is
one window in from the east rises above the gargoyled corbel table and forms a
flue with embattled parapet. The gabled, coped and buttressed south porch with
ridge cross has a central moulded arch supported on engaged columns with moulded
capitals, with hood mould and label stops over. The east and west walls both
have single ashlar quatrefoils contained in a rectangular panel. The interior
porch doorway has a billet decorated arch. The nave is separated from the north
aisle by an arcade of 3 bays, having C14 octagonal piers with moulded capitals
and bases supporting double chamfered arches, the western arch has a label Stop
to the nave side. To the west of the western most arch is a small chamfered arch
rising to a level with the capitals. There is a triple chamfered tower arch.
The tower is blocked. The double chamfered chancel arch is supported on
octagonal engaged columns with hood mould and label stops, with a traceried
screen dated 1519. The north aisle end south and north chancel walls each have
a single arched doorway. There is a piscina in the south chancel wall. The
north aisle windows and west nave window have hood moulds and label stops. The
C12 circular font is decorated with arcading. In the north aisle are 2 C16
unusually carved oak benches. There is a C19 circular cast iron radiation
stove heater in the nave with inscription, "Ventillating Coy Gurney Patent The
Warming". on'the north chancel wall is a monument, 1738, with broken
pediment and central urn, to Gilbert and Elizabeth Charlton, Gilbert and Harvey
Staunton, Lettice and Elizabeth. The south chancel wall has an ashlar and
slate monument to Anne Staunton and Will and Eliz Holbrooke, 1685, the apron
is decorated with a skull and cross bones, brackets support a segmental podium
with decorated shield. On the blocked tower wall is a monument to Job Brough,
Elizabeth Brough and their 2 sons Job Charlton Brough and Francis John, 1811,
by Richd Westmacott, the crown is decorated with a shield and a bird carved
in relief. The north wall of the nave has an inset tablet to Antonius
Staunton, 1560, and a monument with broken pediment to Jane Degge and Harvey
Degge her son, 1757. On the east wall of the north aisle is a monument with
broken segmental podium and coloured decorated shield on the apron to Gilbert
and Anne Charlton, 1731, by Jas Wallis, Newark and an inset ashlar tablet,
1732, to Anne Brough. The north wall has a very fine monument to Job Staunton
Charlton, 1807, over the inscription is a large standing female figure carved in
relief and surmounted by a shaped podium with coloured and decorated shield
and small carved animal head over. In the north aisle are several tombs.
Against the east wall is an early C14 knight in sunk relief with a dog at
his feet and 2 shields in a band over his body. There is a C13 coffin with an
incised stylized cross in the lid with interlaced arch decoration around the
sides. Another, damaged, has a stylized cross. Adjacent to the north wall
is a C15 tomb, topped with a damaged lady in a wimple, the base is decorated
with shields and tudor roses in cusped panels. There is the damaged lower
half of a knight, and an early C14 damaged cross-legged knight with intricate
chain mail. In the floor is a stone with shield carved in sunk relief, 1582.

Listing NGR: SK8052643274

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.