History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade I Listed Building in Collingham, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1425 / 53°8'33"N

Longitude: -0.7656 / 0°45'56"W

OS Eastings: 482665

OS Northings: 361311

OS Grid: SK826613

Mapcode National: GBR CKQ.Z52

Mapcode Global: WHFHB.68PP

Plus Code: 9C5X46VM+2Q

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242601

Location: Collingham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Collingham

Built-Up Area: Collingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Collingham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
North Collingham


SK 8261-8361 COLLINGHAM WESTFIELD LANE (south side)

10/76 Church of St.John the
16.1.67 Baptist

G.V. I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1864 by J. H. Hakewill. Tower
restored 1886; further restoration 1890. Coursed blue lias rubble and ashlar
with ashlar dressings and brick patching. Leaded, stone slab, slate and plain
blue tile roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south
porch, large organ chamber. West tower, 3 stages, string courses and corbel
table with crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. 3 clasping buttresses
of 6 setoffs, changing to diagonal buttresses above first stage. N.W. corner
only has plain buttress of 3 setoffs up to first stage. First stage has to
west, C14 chamfered and rebated four centred arched window with label mould and
mask stops, containing triple ogee headed lancet with panel tracery; to south
single lancet in chamfered reveal, to north, 1890 polygonal stair turret with
pitched slab roof and 3 rectangular lights with chamfered reveals. Second
stage has, to west, single lancet in chamfered reveal in blocked C13 double
lancet opening; to south C13 double lancet; to north, double recess with one
lancet and one round headed opening; to east, clock. Third stage has 4 triple
lancet bell openings with moulded mullions and transoms and Decorated tracery.
North aisle C14, 4 bays, coped balustrade, 4 buttresses of 4 setoffs on
plinths, off-centre C14 moulded doorway with label mould and mask stops, contain-
ing C19 door flanked to east by 2 square headed chamfered and rebated openings
with label moulds and mask stops, containing double ogee headed lancets with panel
tracery, to west by a single similar window; beyond, C19 rectangular single light
in chamfered reveal; C19 door in chamfered reveal on west end. Chancel, C14
and C15, 3 bays and coped gable, slate roof, has to north C19 gabled organ
chamber with clasping buttress to east and plain buttress to west, and single
light in chamfered reveal in gable; flanked by single C14 square headed chamfered
and rebated openings containing double lancets with decorated tracery. East
end has 2 clasping buttresses, 3 setoffs and plinth, C15 chamfered and rebated
opening with label mould and mask stope, containing 5 ogee headed lancets with
panel tracery and moulded mullion and transom. South side has off-centre C14
moulded priest's door flanked to west by C14 chamfered and rebated square headed
opening containing double lancet with decorated tracery; beyond, similar opening
containing quatrefoil headed double lancets with mullion and transom; to east
C15 square chamfered and rebated square headed opening containing 4 plain lancets.
South aisle, C14, 4 bays, 3 buttresses of 4 setoffs on plinths, has 2 C14
square headed chamfered and rebated openings with label moulds and mask stops
containing triple lancets with Decorated tracery; to east C15 larger square
headed chamfered and rebated opening containing 3 4-centred arched lights
with mullion and transom. East end has C15 4 centred arched opening containing
triple ogee headed lancets with moulded transom and panel tracery. C19 pointed
arched doorway with chamfered reveal to west of south porch. Gabled south
porch, C19, in C13 style; plinth, string course, corbel table, coped gable,
has roll moulded doorway with keeled shaft responds and hoodmould with plain
stops. C19 timber roof. South doorway, C14, 4 orders, major shafts keeled
and with angular capitals, keeled roll moulding; label mould with mask stops;
C19 door. Nave clerestorey; C15; 3 bays, moulded eaves, leaded roof, coped
gable, has on either side 3 square headed chamfered and rebated openings con-
taining triple plain lancets. Interior: 3 bay nave; north arcade, C12,
2 rectangular piers with engaged shaft responds and scallop and stiff leaf
capitals, all with deeply moulded zigzag and coffered lozenges, roll moulded
archivolts, chamfered and cusped label mould, single grotesque beast's head
label stop. South arcade: C13: clustered piers of 8 shafts with principal
shafts keeled; small, circular moulded capitals; label moulds with 2 mask
stops. Clerestorey has 3 square headed triple lancets on either side.
Kingpost roof, 1890, with arch braces to kingposts, cusped braces to principal
rafters, cusped wind braces. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated,
clustered shaft responds with octagon capitals and shaft rings. North aisle
has in east wall simple cusped headed piscina, memorial tablet, 1573; roof 1890.
South aisle has in east end C14 cusped ogee headed piscina; east window with
C19 stained glass by Ward & Hughes, C20 pews, C19 roof; 4 centred arched
doorway in west end; C17 octagonal font on clustered shaft stem. Chancel arch
C13, chamfered and rebated, with moulded respond capitals. Chancel north side
has central chamfered archway to organ chamber, flanked by single C14 square
headed double lancets, C14 ogee headed chamfered recess, probably an Easter
Sepulchre. East window C15, glass C19. South side has small rectangular
piscina, one double and one single memorials in crocketed nodding ogee surrounds,
1860s and 1870s; one quadruple and 2 double square headed lancets, and
priest's door. C19 common rafter roof with diagonal matchboarding.
Fittings include plain pews and pulpit, 1907-08, timber screen 1940, painted and
gilt rood.

Listing NGR: SK8266561313

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.