This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1158 / 53°6'56"N
Longitude: -0.7518 / 0°45'6"W
OS Eastings: 483637
OS Northings: 358352
OS Grid: SK836583
Mapcode National: GBR CL4.NQD
Mapcode Global: WHFHB.FY67
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 17 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242545
Location: Collingham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Collingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Collingham
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 85 NW COLLINGHAM FOSSE WAY (west side)
7/20 Church of St. Stephen
Parish Church, c.1885. Brick with plain tile roof, blue brick and ashlar
dressings, brick plinth, brick eaves, decorative ridge tiles. Nave and chancel
under continuous roof, south porch, vestry, bell turret. Nave, 3 bays, 2 single
and one double lancet, all with chamfered reveals; 2 brick buttresses, single
setoff, ashlar caps. North side has one single and one double lancet and 2
buttresses. West gable has 2 buttresses and 5 lancets with rubbed brick heads
and stone sills. Gabled south porch has brick eaves and kneelers, 2 setback
buttresses, single chamfered lancet to north, chamfered pointed arched opening
with decorative ironwork lamp bracket and cross above. South door has pointed
arched rubbed brick doorway with close boarded door with decorative hinges.
Vestry has setback buttresses and double lancet in chamfered reveal on north
gable; chamfered pointed arched doorway to east, containing close boarded door
with decorative hinges. Chancel, single bay, has single paired lancet in
chamfered reveal on south side only. East gable has 2 setback buttresses, moulded
string course, 3 lancets under relieving arch, stone sill, cross on gable.
Battered tile hung timber bell turret, 3 stages with open timber bell stage,
tile hung first stage and gables, steep pitched saddleback roof, ornate iron
cross. Interior has fine tuck pointed brickwork with chamfered reveals; stone
corbels carrying arch braces to scissor trussed principal rafter roof with moulded
tenoned purlins and diagonal matchboarding. Stained glass, late C19 and C20.
Octagonal stone font on square base with elaborate crocketed timber cover.
2 sets of 4 re-sited medieval choir stalls, 5 elaborate wrought iron chandeliers;
on south side notable bronze memorial with 2 figures in high relief, to
Thomas Cecil Smith Woolley, ob.1913, signed Geo. Frampton, R.A. On north side
chamfered doorway to vestry with elaborate wrought iron grille. Pointed chancel
arch, chamfered, with good late C19 wrought iron screen with paired gates and
decorative cross above. Chamfered pointed arched opening for organ on north
side, triple pointed arched sedelia and pointed arched piscina on south side.
East window has stained glass dated 1887, 1894, 1896; south windows have C20
stained glass. Roll moulded puffin roof with arched braces to collars and
Listing NGR: SK8363758352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings