This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0769 / 53°4'36"N
Longitude: -0.957 / 0°57'25"W
OS Eastings: 469972
OS Northings: 353806
OS Grid: SK699538
Mapcode National: GBR BK3.4VW
Mapcode Global: WHFHF.8XKK
Entry Name: Dunham House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242503
Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Southwell
Built-Up Area: Southwell
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
1919-0/10/195 (North West side)
Former prebendal house, now offices. Early C17. Remodelled and
refenestrated for Sherbrooke Lowe c1780. Rear range and
service wing and front porch for George Barrow c1805. Mid C20
office addition to south west. Brick, stuccoed, with stone
dressings and hipped and gabled slate roofs. 4 ridge, 2 gable
and 2 side wall stacks. Symmetrical front, 2 storeys, 7
windows, has plinth, moulded parapet and coped gables. 7
glazing bar sashes. Central square porch with segment headed
opening, string course and partly balustraded parapet,
covering a 6-panelled door with moulded surround. On either
side, 3 glazing bar sashes, 2 to the far right being larger.
Irregular garden front, early C19, has plinth, string course
and parapet. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes. 2 storeys,
12 windows. To left, two 2-storey semicircular bow windows,
that to the left being larger. Each has 3 sashes on each
floor. In the centre, a 2 window range with a curved end, and
sashes of different sizes. Below, 2 French windows. To right,
a slightly projecting wing with 3 windows, the central one
with a cast iron balcony. Below, 2 plain sashes and to right a
flat roofed C20 addition. Interior has entrance hall with
modillion cornice and elliptical arched opening to stairwell.
Cantilevered dogleg stair and landing, c1805, with cut string
and foliated cast iron and wrought iron stick balusters.
Scrolled and ramped handrail. Principal rooms to garden front
have palmette and vine trail cornices. Late C17 principal
rafter roof of re-used timber, with double purlins and
collars. This building is one of the 9 remaining prebendal
houses formerly attached to Southwell Minster.
(Norman Summers: A Prospect of Southwell: London: 1974-:
Listing NGR: SK6997253806
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings