This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0159 / 52°0'57"N
Longitude: -1.3229 / 1°19'22"W
OS Eastings: 446562
OS Northings: 235496
OS Grid: SP465354
Mapcode National: GBR 7TF.GD0
Mapcode Global: VHCWG.0LZF
Entry Name: Numbers 1, 1a, 2, 3 and 4 Le Hall Place Plus Attached Forecourt Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 5 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243802
Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Adderbury
Built-Up Area: Adderbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Adderbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP4635 ADDERBURY MANOR R0AD
6/80 Nos. 1, 1A, 2, 3 and 4 Le Hall
08/12/55 Place plus attached forecourt
walls and gatepiers
(Formerly listed as la Hall
Place together with Stable
Manor house, walls and gatepiers. Probably C14 and C15, enlarged and re-modelled
late C17; altered c.l803, c.1870 and subdivided mid C20; gatepiers late C17.
Marlstone ashlar with some limestone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and
Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. H-plan enlarged to double-depth plan. 2
storeys plus attics. Symmetrical 7-window front has wide flanking gabled wings
with 6-light mullioned windows at ground floor, pairs of stone cross windows at
first floor, and 3-light mullioned gable windows; 3-window recessed central
section has large stone cross windows plus a central gabled porch with a
4-centre arched doorway with recessed spandrels and label in marlstone ashlar.
Windows are all of c.1870 with limestone-ashlar dressings and sheet glazing.
Central section of the steep-pitchad roof his 3 tall stone-gabled dormers of
c.1803 with 2-light stone-mullioned windows. Large multiple stack rising to
right of the central range appears to relate to an earlier steeper roof. Right
return wall of right wing, facing road, has similar C19 mullioned windows. Rear
range includes 2 assymetrically-placed gables with 2-light C17 mullioned
windows, but elsewhere has further large C19 cross windows, except for 2 small
2-light windows which may be partly C17. Irregular left side of house includes a
flat-roofed central infill section, but gable of rear range retains a small
early wood-framed window. Interior: wide C17 dogleg stair with heavy turned
balusters and carved ball finials; early-C18 bolection-panelled first-floor room
with matching architraves and fireplace surround; small triangular C14 stone
vault incorporating wave mouldings. Noted as having a C14 doorway with
ballflower ornament and a plainer arched doorway, plus C17 and C18 panelling in
several rooms. Limestone-coped marlstone ashlar forecourt walls extend around 3
sides of forecourt, approximately 2.5 metres high to right but reduced to
approximately I.3 metres on the other 2 sides, with a wide axial gateway plus
narrower blocked gateways near the outer ends of the side walls. All gates have
tall ashlar gatepiers, pilastered on 3 sides with the front and rear pilasters
rising from moulded pedestals; limestone entablatures incorporating pulvinated
friezes break round the pilasters and support ball finials on tall moulded
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp418-19; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p12;
Cake and Cockhorse 1965, Vol 2, pp199-206; Country Life: Vol 105, 1949, p86)
Listing NGR: SP4656235496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings