This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9754 / 51°58'31"N
Longitude: -1.1456 / 1°8'44"W
OS Eastings: 458785
OS Northings: 231110
OS Grid: SP587311
Mapcode National: GBR 8WK.564
Mapcode Global: VHCWR.3M71
Plus Code: 9C3WXVG3+4Q
Entry Name: Cottisford House
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243594
Location: Cottisford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, NN13
Civil Parish: Cottisford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cottisford and Hardwick-cum-Tusmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
COTTISFORD MAIN STREET
SP5831 (North side)
15/2 Cottisford House
House. c.1700 with alterations and additions c.1830 by William Turner.
Restoration following fire c.1930. Squared, coursed limestone. Hipped old-tile
roof. Stone ridge and end stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys plus attic.
3-window range. Central entrance reached via stone steps has panelled/glazed
door in broken segmental door-case. Entrance is flanked by tall, narrow sashes
with glazing bars and stone surround. 3 similar first floor windows. Dentilled
wood eaves cornice. Hipped roof dormers. Lower early C19 wing abuts to left.
Similar wing on right now demolished. West elevation. Double-depth plan with
hipped M-shaped roof. 2 storeys. 3-window range. Central entrance has panelled
door, semi-circular fanlight and open-pedimented wood door-case. Entrance is
flanked by sashes in flush wood frames with glazing bars and keyblock lintels. 3
similar first floor windows, the central window under a Flemish style stone
gable. 3-window range on south return. Built c.1700 for Laurence Lord, a tenant
of Eton College who were Lords of Cottisford from 1442 to the end of the C19.
Interior has C18 and C19 style fittings.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p559; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, p105;
Blomfield, J.C.: History of Cottisford in History of the Present Deanery of
Bicester, 1887, part 3, pp22-3)
Listing NGR: SP5878531110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings