This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9619 / 51°57'42"N
Longitude: -1.1623 / 1°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 457657
OS Northings: 229602
OS Grid: SP576296
Mapcode National: GBR 8WK.T4X
Mapcode Global: VHCWQ.SYXC
Entry Name: Hardwick Manor House
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243625
Location: Hardwick with Tusmore, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Hardwick with Tusmore
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cottisford and Hardwick-cum-Tusmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HARDWICK WITH TUSMORE HETHE ROAD
SP5729 (South side)
16/32 Hardwick Manor House
Manor farmhouse. late C16 with later extension and addition. West gable restored
in 1946. Late C20 alterations and repairs. Coursed limestone rubble. Half-hipped
tiled roof. Substantial stone ridge stack has 3 diagonally set brick shafts.
Rear has a stone brick lateral stack. Long rectangular plan. Probably originally
2-unit extended to 4-unit plan. 2 storeys plus attic and cellar. 6-window range
extended to 8-window range. Front elevation. Entrance off-centre to right has a
gabled porch, plank door and moulded wood frame. To right three 2-light stone
mullioned windows. To left two 2-light stone mullioned windows. To left of
straight joint two C20 2-light stone mullioned windows to left of straight joint
and five 2-light stone mullioned windows and a single light window to main part.
Hood moulds and label stops throughout. To right of entrance a 3-light stone
mullioned cellar window. Rear elevation. Gabled 2-storey staircase projection
off-centre to left has 2-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and
label stops. Doorway leads to cellar below staircase. Single-storey dairy
outshot on right has a raking roof and brick stack, Entrance into outshot on
right. To left of door a 2-light and 3-light casement. Between the outshot and
staircase projection a C20 window with wood lintel on the ground floor and a
2-light window with wood lintel above. To left of staircase projection a 2-light
stone mullioned window on first floor has a hood mould and label stops.
Interior. Plan from west to east, includes Parlour, space occuped by original
staircase and with stone steps leading to cellar, Hall, Kitchen and Dairy to
rear. Staircase projection now leads from upper end of hall in passageway
leading to Parlour. Parlour has a late C16 stone fireplace with 4-centred arched
head. Hall has wide stone fireplace with wood bressumer, a fragment of C17 oak
screen and chamfered beam. Cellar has C16 moulded and stop-chamfered beam.
Original late C16 staircase has a heavy moulded handrail without balusters and
massive fleur-de-lys shaped newel posts. Original passageway ran from the west to
east on north of house. Present passageway runs from west to east on south with
partition walls dividing rooms. Small square opening to priest's hole in side of
stack above head height on first floor. Probably formed about the same time as
the ridge stack. Attic floor has former R.C. chapel with stoup at entrance.
Barrel-vault plaster ceiling. Altar steps and winder stair. Priest's hole beyond
chapel. Hardwick Manor house was built c.1580 to 1643 when Sir Richard Fermor
was Lord of the Manor. The Fermors were a prominent R.C. family and services
were held at Hardwick Manor House until the C19 when a new R.C. Chapel was built
at Hethe. The manor house was leased in the C18 by the Fermors to the Day family
until 1793 and to the Collingridge family until 1812.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p633; VCH; 0xfordshire: Vol VI, p169)
Listing NGR: SP5765729602
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings