This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8968 / 51°53'48"N
Longitude: -1.1504 / 1°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 458558
OS Northings: 222364
OS Grid: SP585223
Mapcode National: GBR 8XJ.3YV
Mapcode Global: VHCX4.0LP9
Entry Name: 47, Market Square
Listing Date: 30 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046458
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243540
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER MARKET SQUARE
Shown as No.48 on Ordnance Survey map.
Substantial town house, now offices, 1698 on datestone, altered C19 and C20.
Rendered timber framing with stucco dressings; concrete plain-tile and lead
roofs with brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys plus attics. Symmetrical
5-window front, with storeybands and rusticated stucco quoins, has 12-pane
sashes to the upper windows, and has a central projecting 4-storey tower with
similar windows at first and second floors, but with 3 keyed oval windows to the
top stage formed in moulded limestone-rectangular frames, the front oval blind
and inscribed "B/IM/1698". The turret has a moulded wooden cornice and an ogee
tiled roof topped by a ball finial and wrought-iron weathervane. The hipped roof
of the main range has a central lead flat and a wooden modillion cornice which
returns on both sides. Ground floor has a central doorway with a moulded
segmental-arched eared stucco architrave, flanked by small-pane shop windows
built out below a deep moulded cornice (probably all C20). Left side has 2
sashes per floor above a C19 ground-floor extension with a large small-pane
window. Right side has some narrower sashes and some altered windows. Rear has 3
truncated stacks, each of 3 linked shafts. Interior: upper floors of tower
retain a dog-leg stair with heavy moulded handrail and closed string,
barleytwist-on-vase balusters, and some turned pendants. With Nos.49 and 50
(q.v.), forms a prominent group on an island site.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.18; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.455).
Listing NGR: SP5855622377
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings