This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.898 / 51°53'52"N
Longitude: -1.1564 / 1°9'23"W
OS Eastings: 458140
OS Northings: 222499
OS Grid: SP581224
Mapcode National: GBR 8XB.VVW
Mapcode Global: VHCX3.XK0B
Entry Name: Bicester House
Listing Date: 31 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243514
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER KINGS END
SP5822N, SP5822S (North side)
2/40, 3/40 Bicester House
Manor house. Early C18 incorporating C17 elements, enlarged and remodelled
c.l780, and altered c.l820. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings;
Welsh-slate roofs with stone stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and 3 storeys.
Symmetrical 5-window 2-storey entrance front is probably mostly early C18, and
has stone-architraved 12-pane sashes and a central doorway, now sheltered by a
later stone Doric porch. The arched head of the central first-floor window, the
stone cornice, and the balustraded parapet are alterations, probably of c.l780;
at the same time the storeyband was reduced and a second band removed,
suggesting the former existence of a third storey. Returning to right, the
8-window garden front (originally of c.1780) with matching cornice and parapet,
similar but taller windows and a first-floor sill band, breaks back in the 2
left bays which have blind windows; 2 balancing bays to right were destroyed
c.1820. The main section has a large early-C19 tripartite sash below a segmental
arch in the middle 2 bays, replacing the former main entrance and porch, and in
place of the 2 bays to left is a full-height C19 canted section containing 3
windows at each floor. The double-span roof is hipped as it returns around the
entrance range. The range returning to left of the entrance front has 3 storeys
of sashes, arranged irregularly, but appears to contain little of the late-C17
front known from an engraving; the double-gabled rear wall, however, retains one
cross window. Interior: entrance range has 3 rooms with mid-C18 fielded
panelling and dentil cornices; one has a contemporary corner cupboard, with
arched panelled door and serpentine display shelves, and also has a late-C18
fireplace in Adam style with arabesques, festoons and an oxhead in the carved
frieze; the other 2 panelled rooms have early C18 marble fireplaces with
serpentine heads and keyblocks, one with fluted keyblock, the other with fluted
pilasters echoed in the remains of a contemporary pilastered overmantel
incorporated into the later panelling. 2-storey entrance hall has a small
early/mid C18 japanned fireplace, and an early-C19 cantilevered oak stair with
C20 balustrade. Earlier range retains some C17 beams, one with ogee moulding.
Garden range has large high rooms with early-C19 fireplaces, ceilings and
joinery. The house is on the site of the manor house of the Nuns of Markyate;
John Coker purchased the property in 15B4 and it remained the home of the Coker
family until 1978.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.20; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.456).
Listing NGR: SP5814022499
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings