This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0717 / 52°4'18"N
Longitude: -1.4325 / 1°25'57"W
OS Eastings: 438992
OS Northings: 241632
OS Grid: SP389416
Mapcode National: GBR 6RC.4N6
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.4615
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse and Attached Walls and Gateway
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 20 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244791
Location: Wroxton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Wroxton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wroxton with Balscote
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WROXTON MANOR FARM LANE
8/234, 9/234 Manor Farmhouse and attached
08/12/55 walls and gateway
(Formerly listed as Manor
Manor house now farmhouse. C17 with C18 alterations and additions. Walls and
gateway. C17 and C18. Walls approximately 2 metres high. Regular coursed
ironstone rubble with stone coping. Piers have cornices and ball finials. 2
clasping buttresses. Farmhouse: Elevation to road. Coursed ironstone rubble and
squared coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply pitched stone slate roofs laid to
diminishing courses. Blue brick ridge stack, rendered ridge stack with renewed
brick shaft and stone ridge stack. Stone coped gables. L-plan. 2 storeys.
Scattered fenestration of 3-window range. C17 part of 2 builds on right is
situated gable on to road. C18 wing attached to left. C17 part has a C20 French
door, and a 3-light casement with a renewed wood lintel. In the gable is a
re-set C13 window of 2-lights under a semi-circular wood. The tympanum is
incized with intersecting circles. Badly weathered. C18 part on left has a C18
sash with keyblock stone head and a 2-light stone mullioned window on the ground
floor. Two sashes on first floor. Pediment with round window. Right side (west)
of C17 part. Entrance has stable door with wood lintel and is flanked by 4-light
stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops. Two 3-light similar
windows to first floor. Interior. C17 part has inglenook fireplace with
chamfered beam, stop-chamfered beam, partly renewed wood winder staircase and
stone flag floors. C18 part has C18 panelled cupboards, boxed beams, sashes with
panelled reveals and shutters and a moulded wood cornice. Said to have been the
site of the home of the Belet family of which Michael founded Wroxton Priory in
1217. Noted as the chief house in the village in the C17 when it was occupied by
the Sacheverell family. Assessed on 7 hearths in 1665 and figures in maps of
1677 and 1684.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p428; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p175;
VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol II, p101; Oxford Archaeology Soc. Rep. No.84, (1938), p55)
Listing NGR: SP3899241632
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings