This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0819 / 52°4'54"N
Longitude: -1.4568 / 1°27'24"W
OS Eastings: 437323
OS Northings: 242754
OS Grid: SP373427
Mapcode National: GBR 6R4.JHN
Mapcode Global: VHBYJ.PXQW
Entry Name: Mill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046842
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244630
Location: Shenington with Alkerton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Built-Up Area: Shenington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON SHENINGTON
7/74 Mill Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C17, possibly with earlier origins, 1662 MP inscribed on
bressumer. Roof raised C18/early C19. Coursed squared ironstone. C20-tile roof.
3 renewed concrete end and ridge stacks on stone bases. Stone coped gables with
moulded kneelers. 4-unit plan. 2 storeys plus attic and cellar. 6-window range.
4 entrances including a blocked 4-centred doorway with hood mould and label
stops on left, a renewed door with wood lintel to hall, a 4-centred arched
doorway on right with renewed door and hood mould with lozenge shaped label
stops and carved spandrels. Further doorway on right. Ground floor has two
4-light and three 2-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label
stops. Window to kitchen on left is of ovolo section. First floor window above
kitchen is a 4-light stone mullion also of ovolo section. First floor windows
include two 3-light and four 2-light stone mullioned windows. Hood moulds and
label stops. Most windows have wrought-iron casement fasteners and springs.
2-light stone mullioned window to cellar. Continuous chamfered stone plinth.
Right end has three 2-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label
stops, 2 blocked, one window is situated between the ground and first floors and
probably lit a staircase, of which only part of the circular housing remains on
the interior. Rear, facing churchyard. Ground floor has a renewed 3-light wood
casement inserted within the opening of a window with hood mould and label
stops, a 2-light stone mullioned window, a 3-light metal casement inserted
within stone surround and a 2-light stone mullioned window. Hood moulds and
label stops. First floor has a 3-light and three 2-light stone mullioned windows
with hood moulds and label stops, the window on the far right blocked. Attic has
4 (fake) blocked wood mullioned windows. Interior. Long 4-unit plan of kitchen,
hall, parlour and unheated room with cellar under. Stop-chamfered beams,
fireplaces with stop-chamfered wooden bressumers or 4-centred arched stone
fireplaces with moulded jambs; the fireplace in the hall inscribed 1662 MP. C17
wood spiral staircase located to side of the hall fireplace is opposite one of
the entrances from the farmyard. 4-centred arched stone doorway in passageway
between parlour and unheated unit. First floor also has a 4-centred arched stone
fireplace. Roof has a C19 Queen post roof with side purlins. Plank doors with
strap hinges, panelled doors, windows with window seats and panelling, stone
flag floors. C20-tile roof is said to have replaced Welsh slate. 4 4-centred
arched stone doorway on first floor has bar and brackets.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p140)
Listing NGR: SP3732342754
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings