This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.76 / 51°45'36"N
Longitude: -1.2623 / 1°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 451009
OS Northings: 207073
OS Grid: SP510070
Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.RMX
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.21J2
Entry Name: The Radcliffe Infirmary (Main Block)
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245941
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/2/101 WOODSTOCK ROAD
612/3/101 (West side)
12-JAN-54 THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK)
The Radcliffe Infirmary original infirmary block
SP 5007 SE 2/101
SP 5107 SW 3/101 12.1.54.
Infirmary. 1759-70. By Stiff Leadbetter (d.1766) and founded on the benefaction of Dr. John Radcliffe. 3-storeyed Headington ashlar with attics in a Welsh slate mansard roof.
PLAN: Central entrance at ground floor into two-storey entrance hall. Longitudinal corridors at each storey to projecting cross-wings at both ends. Central room to rear projects to bay window with Board Room at first floor and chapel originally above.
EXTERIOR: 5-part facade with projecting cross-wings of two windows wide to each end and a slightly projecting frontispiece, three windows wide capped with pediment. Ground floor entrance of 1933 by Stanley Hemp replaces original first floor entrance. Entrance of round-headed doorway with keystone flanked by pilasters carrying a panel and capped with finials. Ground floor reads as basement with six-over-three sashes and plinth. Six-over-six sashes to first and second stories. Sashes have flush surrounds, except for salient sills and first floor sill band. Segmental arch three-over-three dormers to mansard attic behind parapet with cornice. Round window to pediment. Narrow, deep ashlar chimneys. Pair of octagonal full-height sanitary towers by C. Buckeridge of 1869 to rear with water tanks to attic storey. 1911-13 outpatients block by Edward Warren attached and projecting to front left. C19 and C20 additions to the rear.
INTERIOR: Longitudinal corridors to first floor are tunnel-vaulted in rough stone and groin-vaulted in finished stone at centre near entrance to Board Room. Board Room with C18 and C19 plaster panels inscribed with the names and donations of benefactors. Upper level rooms with 6-panel door, transom, stone fireplace surround, flag stone floor.
The Radcliffe Infirmary Buildings form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5101607146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings